X-country endorsement all done! + my first engine failure on take off!!

Well as the title says... I did my Solo X-country Nav this afternoon, and passed all the required tests, including Pax... so I'm now pretty much finished off all that sort of stuff.

I'm now the proud owner of, R, HF, LP, TW, HP, NW, PAX, XC.

Now your all wondering about my bit of excitement I suppose!? Well, I did three circuits with Bob just to make sure I'm up with the landings in the gusty conditions today... which went well, so we taxied back to the hanger, I got my flight plan and gear, did a engine run-up, lined up and slowly added full power... so just when I'm about 4ft off the ground the engine surged and lost power!!:ah_oh: So I automatically cut the throttle, landed the aircraft, and pulled up before the end of the runway... good thing I used the long one!

I taxied back, and we checked it all out, couldn't find anything. We finally agreed that it could have been fuel vapor lock or something, so I went and did some sever ground runs, full throttle for a bit etc... just to see if it would do it again... which it did on a runway test, (go boring down the runway without taking off), but not stationary!

Anyway after checking it over again, fuel filters, float level, breathers etc... the owner took if for a run and it didn't do it. (I think it cooled down sufficiently in shade of the shed).

So I then tried again, and it ran like a bird for the whole solo nav ex, which I was certainly glad of, as you can imagine!

Anyway all is good, and I'm a bit more learned on actual engine failure's (even if it was only partial... an almost complete lose of power on take off I still consider a failure!) not just instructor subjected ones!

All in all, I got a pretty wide smile out of my days efforts:big_grin::thumb_up:

Geez, Tomo. You're a braver man than I. Two failures and you still took it up??

(Oh, but congrats on the new endorsements. Dreaming of my turn... :) )

Was the engine inspected by a level 2?? after the failure??... i hope so mate.. :peepwall:

Oh yeah! two of them in fact!:thumb_up:

Geez, Tomo. You're a braver man than I. Two failures and you still took it up??(Oh, but congrats on the new endorsements. Dreaming of my turn... :) )

Thanks a lot guys!

Gomer being a mechanic I kinda knew what was happening, nothing mechanical of the engine, or fuel quantity/flow either, I think it was fuel vaporization from the heat of everything... And I was pretty happy with the tests afterwards so I was pretty confident about it!

But if it's man made... expect it to fail... not real confident building is it, but at least be ready for it when something does happen.

Good one Tomo, amazing how that training kicks in, and you must be a proud proud man and rightly so!!

All the best mate.

Guest Brett Campany

Awesome work Tomo, good feeling getting it all over and done with!! Where's your first trip planned for then?

Guest Maj Millard

I had my first engine failure with about 200 hrs under the belt (just when you think you know it all) Totally enexpected failure at 1500ft, but found a nice paddock, put out a call back to the field, and landed no problem. You do feel so much better after you have done one...or two. You don't worry so much about IF you can handle it, or not. Obviosly the more you've done, the more confident, capable, and safer you are.

Unfortunatly, regardless of the hours you've got, if you haven't had anything in say the last four years or so, you tend to go back to square one again, unless you practise.

I always breath a sigh of relief at around 400 ft when i get rid of the take-off flaps, and turn the boost pump off. Engine failure RIGHT after takeoff is still our most dangerous area. 100 ft over the fence with no power, and no options, is not a good place to be. Altitude IS thine friend.

Always go over your EFAT options before putting the balls to the wall. There is no doubt that Tomo is now a more capable, confident, and safer pilot than he was a few days ago...................................................................................:thumb_up: 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Awesome work Tomo, I was flying up at Kingaroy on the same day and it got quite gusty and really tested me with a fair x-wind on the main strip. The day started perfectly and then at 10a it got gusty and lumpy. Kingaroy is changing frequencies again away from 126.7 so I won't be able to hear you guys next time I fly.

Australia is your oyster now mate!

Guest Pop-top

Hey Tomo,

Congratulations! not only for your passing but for dealing with the unexpected as you did!:thumb_up:

Awesome job :big_grin: and although I can sing song my Emergency landing procedures now, I cant help but wonder how it will go when I have to do it for real.

I think he's running Avgas in it Andy (Motz)

Where's your first trip planned for then?

Good question Brett! I would like to go the flyin at Cowra... but the BIG $ sign is in the way..!!049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

But I'll have to do one some time soon that's for sure!

Ps. Thanks to you all, sorry I'm a bit late a getting back. (I'm away from home and don't have internet! except thanks to Mc'donalds I have right now....!)

Congrats Tomo ,well done. just looking at your endorsements you might as well apply for the "2S" as well which is for two stroke operation. Thats assuming your tail wheel training was in the Drifter. I think my training was done pretty much the same as yourself with starting in the Drifter for tail wheel training then off to an enclosed AC to finish and then x country. We actually dropped into the school at Dalby during 2 of my nav exercises.

See ya around the traps, BTW are you planning to come over to Watts Bridge for the festival of flight annual flyin, its on both days this week end

cheers

JimG

G'day Jim, Thanks.

Yes I forgot to put the 2S endorsement on here! I do have that one too...

The flyin at Watts Bridge looks good, not sure If I could do it though... but I'll see, it's only an hour or so away I s'pose!

Hey! Thanks Bec!:thumb_up:

Yeah I beat you...010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

How far away are you in finishing? Have you done many Nav's? What do think of them...? I loved doing mine! Sorry about all the Q's!!! (your used to it though I suppose!);)

I will enjoy... just have to work out where all my spare time went tooo!!!!036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Just a solo

Hey Tomo,

Just my Solo to do and then I have the lot done.

Have been waiting nearly two months now as the weather is not being my friend!!

Hopefully next weekend and then I can spend more money and travel the country :)

The Navs I find challenging as I have poor directional ability:confused:

Can't wait to do some "fly ins" and purchase my first plane

Fly safe

Bec

Yeah, the weather has been a bit hecktick down there by the sounds of things! It's come almighty blowy up here the last week or two... hopefully there's some rain about, for the farmers sake!

Hope you get your solo in there soon!:thumb_up:

• 1 month later...
Guest milton56

Well done

I've just finished building a Savannah and now have to have the 25 hrs flown off by a certificated pilot so I then can finish my pilot certificate.