Seeking advice on cockpit camcorder mounts

Guest markfnkl

Guest markfnkl

With apologies if this subject has been thoroughly discussed before . . .

I'd love to take some cockpit video in my [new to me] J230 and would appreciate advice on camcorder mounts. I have a Canon HF100. Mounts attaching to the glare shield are appealing, but the glare shield in the 230 is so narrow I'm wondering if a mount would fit? Suction cups on the windshield seems another option, but how much do they interfere with visibility? Are there any mounts that can be remote controlled to change direction?

Also, any thoughts on audio? I have a Lightspeed Zulu headset which seems to have an audio output that would permit my microphone to feed into the camcorder, which would be great, making for narrated video rather than just the drone of the engine.

Guest basscheffers

Suction cups are not going to be reliable. Just think of what happens when you get higher and higher! :)

So a clamp of sorts is probably better. Maybe even a Gorillapod? Don't know the Jab...

Line out could work, but needs to go to a line-in rather than mic-in on the camcorder. I think yours only has mic-in. People have had good results using a small lapel mic (clip removed!) and simply stick that inside the earcup.

Also, your camcorder does have a CMOS sensor rather than a CCD, which is likely to cause these "warped propeller" effects you see in videos.

Guest markfnkl

Many thanks, BC: very useful information! I hadn't heard of the Gorillapod, but have looked into it and seems like it might well be the way to go. Thanks also for the audio advice: I would otherwise have been wondering why it wasn't working. I'll give the lapel mic a try. If I get some decent results will post a link to a YouTube here. Thanks again!

Mark

• 3 months later...

I made a camera mount that clamps to the beam running just behind the pilot and passenger heads. (In my Jabiru J170) The camera hangs upside down but Windows Movie maker can flip the video. It works well showing the view out the window and most of the dash. Easy enough to make a bracket where the camera is not upside down. When viewing the video after flying, I find myself picking out the 'poor' aspects of my flying like too fast/slow on climbout or finals etc. Great stuff. Something to watch when I'm too old to do anything exciting. I don't bother too much about audio because I can add comments etc during the editing stage.

I use a g-clamp style mount which is good for attaching to tubing / dash board. Can't find the actual one I bought but this is a similar one: Item Details

These provide a very stable platform even under load...as you can see from my various aerobatics videos at YouTube - ARDUCT4's Channel

Will try to find the actual one I bought as it was only 10 bucks.

Oh - and you probably want to invest in a wide angle lens to ensure you capture a wide field of view...you can get clip on ones for video cameras for about 50 bucks. Will find the link to those and post it too.

Yep, Manfrotto Magic Arm is a great bit of kit, borrowed one from a photographer mate of mine for a while, a bit more expensive than the basic G-Clamp style but many more uses.

The lens I use is a Raynox QC-303, it's a snap-on adapter for video cameras.