Painting Savannah

Robert

Hi All

I am thinking of painting my savannah Bingo as it has never been painted.

I have looked at all the advise including this site and am worried about using acid based cleaners (alumipreb etc) for fear that it may ingress under the rivets and overlapped areas and cause corrosion as I dont believe all the acid can be wash away.

Any tips or advice on cleaning or preparing the alum surface for painting without using acid based products.

The aircraft is approx 4 years old

Cheers

Sounds like a job for a product called Prekote. It is used by the US miliary and has approval from a range of aircraft manufacturers. There is good info on the website do a google search for Jeff schultz sonex. This is an amazing builders log that he made. He preped the fully built plane for painting with prekote.

Good luck if you do, let me know how you go as i am interested for when I paint my sonex once complete.

How has it gone as far as corrosion on the unpainted 6061?

• 3 years later...
Hi AllI am thinking of painting my savannah Bingo as it has never been painted.

I have looked at all the advise including this site and am worried about using acid based cleaners (alumipreb etc) for fear that it may ingress under the rivets and overlapped areas and cause corrosion as I dont believe all the acid can be wash away.

Any tips or advice on cleaning or preparing the alum surface for painting without using acid based products.

The aircraft is approx 4 years old

Cheers

Robert,

How did you go painting your Bingo? What product did you end up using for it?