Bubble windows and photography

Guest PeterC123

Guest PeterC123

Greetings all,

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience photographing through bubble windows in general and on a 172 in specific. I get reasonable results just photographing through a regular flat window but being able to "stick my head out" would be very helpful. Am wondering about distortion issues etc. Also is there much speed loss due to drag from these things?

Many thanks,

Peter

I got poor sharpness through windows and distortion through bubbles.

I use a 172 and photograph out of the open window.

(a) You need to hold and steady the camera with a vice like grip (maximum strength), or you'll lose the camera (but I can take a hundred or so shots), although if you stay within the line of the fuselage for more oblique shots there's very little slipstream.

(b) You need a pilot - no way can you do it single handed

From 500 feet photos are sharp even with a Canon Powershot A40 - better camera = better sharpness.

Guest PeterC123

Thanks for the reply. It's the distortion issue I am most concerned about. For sure, an open window is a great thing but it gets cold here, especially in winter when there are some very good photo ops and opening a window for even a little while can be a nuisance.

Yes, wouldn't be practical in winter over there, what a windy City Vancouver can be - I've walked up and down your streets, skiied overlooking the City - magnificent experience, you seem to be about to drop into the streets.

Two possibilities:

If you're doing it a lot, see how feasible it is to remove the drop down window, and try a wrecker, make up a small opening with a shield to stop slipstream, or check out a Cherokee 140 or Warrior.

They have a small flap beside the pilot and you can fly and take photos. It only creates wind flow if you poke the camera out into the slip stream - the Cherokee seems to have a low pressure area each side - as I found out once when I didn't close the hatch properly.

Guest Brett Campany

Distortion is a major problem. I used to work with Surveillance Australia doing Coastwatch flights for Customs and of course we'd have to take many photos during each flight.

I had a bubble window in the back and a flat window up the front. Nothing came out right with the bubble window. The issue was not only distortion but bugs and things outside that would splat on the leading edge of the window. So all photos were taken from the front and the front window was also modified with a small hatch so you could take photos through that.

Those were done in a Reims 406 and BN2B Islander, I now fly in a Dornier 328 and we take photos through a larger window. Such as below.

So really, your best bet is going to be through a flat, clean window.