Qwerty is on the loose

Guest Qwerty

I have a couple of jaunts coming up.

Next weekend 3rd Oct a mate (DT) and I are flying George Town - Lakes Entrance and return to check out an anphib that DT is interested in. Then on 16th Oct I am ferrying Rod's new J250 (with Rod) from Maroochy to George Town via Emerald, Longreach, Birdsville, Lake Ayre, Arkaroola, Mick's place (near Adelaide), Melbourne, Yarram and the islands of Bass Strait.

If anyone is interested I will post a bit of a story here.

OK, first post. Trip preparation.

The Lightwing is ready to go. It always is.

Stuff to check and ensure is on board.

Tiedowns

PLB

PFDs

Maps and crap

ASIC

Carnet cards

Flash lube

Eng oil

Toolkit

Glasses

Visa card

Undies, sox, tooth brush, hair brush

Phone charger

(Multi tool, camera, pocket knife and phone are always on my belt.)

Have I forgotten anything?

Oh, and I had better find out where we are going, so far all I've got is "Gippsland Lakes".

Right.....that's the planning and preparation done.

Guest Maj Millard

Large mouth (or maybe small in your case ?) Gatorade bottle/s ??....................... 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Spare tubes, main and tailwheel.

Guest Qwerty

I have plenty of propellors on the lightwing. But thanks for the reminder...it would be a bugger to get half way across the pond and realise that I had forgotten the propellor.:hittinghead:

As far as I know, Lightwing pilots dont use bottles, they just land somewhere....anywhere. :artist:

Guest Brett Campany

Qwerty, you're going to have a blast mate, I'm envious!!!

Sounds like you've got everything, is there much tiger country where you're going?

I was going to suggest a sat phone, you can hire them but if you reckon it's not needed then I wouldn't worry!

Guest Qwerty
Qwerty, you're going to have a blast mate, I'm envious!!!Sounds like you've got everything, is there much tiger country where you're going?

I was going to suggest a sat phone, you can hire them but if you reckon it's not needed then I wouldn't worry!

No tiger country mate but there is the minor issue of the pond. I keep forgetting the exact figures but I think its about 2hrs over the blue stuff. Not tiger country but an unplesant place to land just the same. I've done the crossing plenty of times, I guess I should make the effort to count the number some time.

The second trip is another matter. There is a bit of tiger country on that one......but I dont plan to land in that either.

He always forgets his credit card, or at least till mine is maxed out. I'm the lucky bugger, great new plane, epic trip and a mate --- ok, a bloody good mate.091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Guest Qwerty

Report, Trip 1

I'll try to make this as painless as possible.

Friday

YGTO - YYRM 2:13

YYRM - YBNS about 50 min

Saturday

Up and at the airport a bit early so we took an hour scenic over Lakes Entrance. Sorry Rory we didn't have time to stop and catch up.

Spent a couple of hours looking at and talking about the Osprey, was taken for a 0.7 demo flight/test fly, did quite a few T&Gs on some pretty crap water. I'll try and add a bit of video here in a minute.

This is a brilliant a/c and will be a good buy for someone. I just can't justify another 80/90 kn cruise a/c for my fleet. I don't know if DT (my mate) will buy it. It was an honour and a pleasure to meet Marty who is selling the a/c for his dad.

Then over to Latrobe valley to take Brad for a test fly in the Lightwing, we did a go-round over his hay paddock and could have landed three times in the length available. I am secretly hoping that he's not interested, I had a blast in her this weekend.

The wind was at 25 kn by now so we duely headed off to Yarram over some rough country and through some rough and wet weather to camp in the Yarrram clubhouse last night.

Sunday

Got the weather from Jim's phone and headed back across the pond landing in Georgetown 2hrs and 23 minutes later.

Ripper weekend but I still want to buy the Osprey.

Total air time 8.3 hrs.

Now lets see if I can add a vid of a T&G.

Qwerty,

Have a safe trip and yep your right no tigers over the pond but there maybe a few tigers (sharks):ah_oh: lurking beneath the pond so for your sake keep the wheels dry mate.

Cheers and once again safe travels.

PS I'll wave to you from the rig if you get blown off course lol

Alf

• 3 weeks later...

Trip report

Delivery trip report

Last Friday, Rod and I flew to Maroochy in an Aluminium tube. Rod is the proud new owner of the J250 to be delivered to Tas.

We preped and familiarised ourselves with the shiny J250 on Friday afternoon at Gympie. We planned a “sensible” route to Tassie, so on Saturday am we departed for Emerald for lunch then on to Longreach. Overnight with a mate and depart early on Sunday for Birdsville for a pie. Then a bit of a zig zag route out to Poepples Corner, Goyder Lagoon (near Clifton Hills), Lake Ayre and Arkaroola in the Flinders ranges. After a good nights sleep we headed off (on Monday) to have lunch with a mate near Stonefield, we dropped in at a deserted Murray Bridge airfield where we had intended to meet some forum members...bugger. Then on the the Coorong (mouth of the Murray near Adelaide), Then coastal via the Twelve Apostles, Cape Otway, and the Great Ocean Road to Essendon for a Vietnamese dinner and overnight with my brother. Tuesday saw 155 kn ground speed on the way to Tooradin...again pretty much deserted, then on the George Town via the pond of course.

The jab performed flawlessly and used a meagre 19 litres per hour. This aircraft carried two decent sized blokes and way too much gear along at 115 kn. That is an impressive effort in terms of miles per gallon. I am very impressed by the J250. Here are a few trip stats.

Saturday 4.8 hrs

Gympie – Emerald = 336.53 miles

Emerald – Longreach = 248.49

Sunday 6.6 hrs

Longreach – Birdsville = 351.37

Birdsville - Popel Corner = 84.76

Popel – Wetlands = 95.15

Wetlands - Lake Ayre = 177.56

Lake Ayre – Arkaroola = 155.36

Monday 6.4 hrs

Arkaroola – Micks = 312.75

Micks to Murrays Bridge = 35.00

Murrays Bridge to Coast = 38.23

Coast to Mt Gambier = 179.00

Mt Gambier to Essendon = 270.00

Tuesday 2.0 hrs

Essendon to Tooradin = 42.7

Tooradin to George town = 213.18

Total 2207 nautical miles

2207 n/m divided by 19.8 hrs = 111.46 knts average

PA180039j.thumb.jpg.51a584577668c325762c6a39bab116f8.jpg

PA190072j.thumb.jpg.56e51b343e09075ecc0191d75700f5e7.jpg

PA190085j.thumb.jpg.2bfa9f26a575f34576ede4137f4a1cc6.jpg

551196764_RodsPictures003j.thumb.jpg.348940dddc025ae781ee746f92a99609.jpg

274255620_RodsPictures203j.thumb.jpg.13ebef21e5b8d69d0cb082c256c93df4.jpg

Guest Des Funslow

Hi Querty, great trip & pics. Not flooded out any more? Question, when you are flying over the pond is there a ALA on Hogan Island that you are aware of.

Des