Qwerty is on the loose

Guest Qwerty

Good on ya Qwerty.

So I take it you are GA? (yeah, I'll look at your stats.)

Gee, that flight would have cost a lot if it was a rental. ;-)

The apostles are nice hey. Someone else and I did them a few years ago.

Hey, the only sensible direction to head to get to Tassie from Qld is NORTH of course. We sorted out a very few bugs on the way home, so the little test flight was a good idea:wave:, its a beautiful machine.

No, not flooded outback but you can see where it was. No ALA on Hogan but you could pull off a landing that you could walk away from...if you had to. I have no intention of visiting hogan. We flew direct Tooradin - George Town. 1.6 hrs vs 2.6 via the islands. The way I look at it the less time you are over water the less chance of a swim.

Flying Dog,

I prefer to see myself as RAAus with a PPL. I needed the PPL to get in where I wanted. It is expensive though, first you have to pay for the PPL training then the medical which is on going and then the blasted ASIC which is on going then buy the transponder and get it put in then get a Rad 47 for it and that is ongoing too. All up it is a very expensive exercise just to save me a train ride in Melbourne and to transit CTA occasionally.

WhileI am at it, hireing is not that much dearer than owning as you might think. A detailled break down of owning costs is elsewhere on this site. Owning costs about $120- $150/hr but the main advantage is that I don't have to ask or wait. I just work out what I want to do and do it.

More picys????

PA170030j.thumb.jpg.c7be2e2daaf17c0433a0928713d763f5.jpg

PA180044j.thumb.jpg.73b5a452e5ac0b3e09764e3e83015668.jpg

PA190082j.thumb.jpg.ae5edb8977eb374beebfe6523c15363a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm off again.

Rod and I are delivering his (ex his) Zenair to South OZ tomorrow. We will try Murray Bridge again, probably on Monday, and see if there is anyone there. Should be a good trip, we are taking two aircraft, returning to Tas in Rod's new J250. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers, Qwerty

In May last year a friend had just completed his trike pilot certificate in Tumut and wanted to get it back to his home strip east of Goulburn, but he lacked his RAA X-country and Pax endorsements at that time so I did the 100Nm flight with him as my Pax in his XT-912.

Squeezed my Garmin-296 into my knee board with a WAC chart and borrowed a compass from my own XT-912.

Since adding an RAA WM pilot certificate to my HGFA certificate a few years back, the only opportunities I've had to fly other trikes have all been RAA registered, so I'd have to say it was worthwhile joining RAA.

Cheers,

Glen

We had a good trip. About 14 hrs air time. We did all the usual stuff, became temporarily uncertain of our position (got lost), dodged rain and cloud, and landed at the wrong destination strip, we did wonder why the new owner wasn't there to meet us. We fixed a few minor problems and had an enjoyable trip.

Here ara a few pics. Rod not looking happy with the fog 3 hrs after our due departure time at George Town. Mick having a beer in the heat in SA and a few others at Wilpena. I will try and get a link in here to a rough vid of the Zodiac arriving.

Woo Hoo I managed it.

Cheers Qwerty

PB010001j.thumb.jpg.021a1b4afa7b14d83dff763bb851cb9e.jpg

PB010015j.thumb.jpg.8446c1f46fc7f108c7b446ee4e372407.jpg

PB010056j.thumb.jpg.1ebe7473eb5d6f80bb8ed923e82c2ef7.jpg

PB020061j.thumb.jpg.51d1750b9fe217c1aaf8d31f9c6a8c94.jpg

PB020063j.thumb.jpg.2211043a79c42e5ab34523f378be7084.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Hope you have those latches sorted on that 601 canopy Querty. That little problem already has got too many good people !. That's not aircraft wreckage on the hill in the last photo is it ??.............................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

That is probably a reflection of my watch band, I would not take or publish pics of prangs.

The latches on the 601 do need a secondary catch. The latch is good and secure but its not too difficult to understand how it could be inadvertantly opened in-flight. I did mention it to the previous owner. It is a nice aircraft, a bit sensitive in pitch for my taste but very nice anyway.

I feel that I should appologize for the vid quality not beeing up to Tomo's high stabdard.

Qwerty

Hope you have those latches sorted on that 601 canopy Querty. That little problem already has got too many good people !. That's not aircraft wreckage on the hill in the last photo is it ??.............................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Is that what happen to the UL a couple of years ago, just north of the Towers here?

How and why it cause a crash?

I feel that I should appologize for the vid quality not beeing up to Tomo's high standard.

Aww... Mine isn't that high really! I just have fun playing around.... BTW I thought you did good.

Guest Maj Millard

Bones, not sure if it was a factor in that one, but the canopy coming loose has been a factor in several other double fatals in 601s. The canopy in Quertys 601 is side hinged. The problem canopys are the fwd hinged ones. Apparently what happens is the latching lets go and the airfoil shaped canopy flies up out of the reach of the pilot. It then instantly robs the air from the tail resulting in a rapid nosing over, and dive to the ground. One pilot in the States went to full power in desparation, and managed to pull one out of the dive, which is how they now know about it.......................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Pioneer200

interesting that about the canopy problems with the 601

How do you get on when doing a forced landing FOR REAL

I suppose leave it to the last moments before touchdown and unlatch it or as with most canopy aircraft risk being trapped it the aircraft!!!!

Bones, not sure if it was a factor in that one, but the canopy coming loose has been a factor in several other double fatals in 601s. The canopy in Quertys 601 is side hinged. The problem canopys are the fwd hinged ones. Apparently what happens is the latching lets go and the airfoil shaped canopy flies up out of the reach of the pilot. It then instantly robs the air from the tail resulting in a rapid nosing over, and dive to the ground. One pilot in the States went to full power in desparation, and managed to pull one out of the dive, which is how they now know about it.......................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

There is an AD out where you have to have a secondary method of holding the canopy from opening fully.This may consist of a tie rope/strap/etc or slid bolts or anything else you can thick off to stop the canopy flying open if the main catch lets loose.The way the main latch engages is by pulling the canopy down and it then has to click 2 X to be secure.The first click only engages it partially and may have contributed to the mistaken thought that the canopy was closed properly.The method to fly if the canopy does open and maintain control is to apply full power and land ASAP Cheers T87:typing: