YCOM-YTOC and back

PaulN

Today is the day I've been waiting for since Nov 1, 2005 ... that's just 413 days (but who's counting :confused:). At long last the CT is airworthy again since the leg break incident. Adrian, a good mate from our Snowy River Aviators club, ferried me over to Toc to collect my Christmas present. Charlie Tango has been undergoing composite repairs with Peter Corkery of Aviation Composite Engineering since this Nov 20. He's done a great job, better than new finish. Not cheap but highly recommended.

We departed Cooma at 0600 local in what we thought was pretty thick smoke haze, but still with around 15km forward visibility,and the flight over was delightfully smooth though slow with headwind. Coming home was a bit more difficult as the haze had increased markedly, esp the last half hour over the alps and home. They say a GPS is only an aid to VFR navigation, a remarkably helpful aid, believe me.

Here's a few pics to share the experience, enjoy.

Paul

1208075834_SmokeHaze1.jpg.17a2049a17161903fda36f18a901114b.jpg

1305141151_SmokeHaze2.jpg.1774cb53d8da73ded60b3b2d22ccf94b.jpg

1512347223_SmokeHaze.jpg.b630a480d6a8a06e1afdef89c0ffecd9.jpg

609710561_Adrian1.jpg.07c7b482f2e90a8044da726a5e1b70ae.jpg

They look a whole lot better (and go faster) with the wheel fairings on but Adrian has to keep them off because students like me break them.

Thanks for the shots Paul. That's my dream way to spend a day. Hopefully I will soon.

Ross

PS - I have other dream ways to spend a day, but this one can be published.

Guest palexxxx

Paul,

Sounds like you've got a bit of a story there, (about how you broke your leg). Is there a post listed previously with the details?

Peter.

Peter,

I did make a report of this on a post to this forum two versions ago, I think it's now extinct.

In brief (it's a long story) the story goes ...

About to depart for a flight to Kangaroo Island and while taxying over grass just 30m beyond our hangar the right hand main leg snapped clean in half dropping the CT onto its belly, right wing and strake. Damage comprised crushed belly of hull, partially crushed strake, crushed wing tip, crushed leg and wheel fairing, broken leg strut, bent nose wheel leg and more recently, a depleted wallet.

We bought the plane, which had been used as a demonstrator, with 266 hrs TT on it, and clocked up a further 217 hours (364 landings) during the following 11 mths until our happy incidence. Over the last 13 odd months while grounded we have come across some interesting issues, not all of which I am free to discuss here. Things like, the left leg was also found to be cracked and other landing gear related items in the a/c were failing. The manufacturer, and agents, deny any responsibility saying the cause of our incident was due to our handling of the aircraft with heavy landings. An interesting view considering we and everyone familiar with my flying have yet to see me make a heavy landing sufficient to be of any concern. Perhaps the failure may have begun in its earlier life.

The good news is that repairs have been carried out expertly by a professional to a high degree of quality and satisfaction. In fact, I reckon the plane (at least those parts relevant to the incidence) is now in better condition and stronger than when new. And now with new landing gear in place we know its history and condition, and can confidently continue flying in safety.

Thanks for asking,

Paul

Guest palexxxx
Peter,The good news is that repairs have been carried out expertly by a professional to a high degree of quality and satisfaction. In fact, I reckon the plane (at least those parts relevant to the incidence) is now in better condition and stronger than when new. And now with new landing gear in place we know its history and condition, and can confidently continue flying in safety.

Thanks for asking,

Paul

Hi Paul,

As is everyone else here, I'm glad that plane and pilot are reunited once again and happily cruising blue skies.

Peter.