Jabiru J250 Amphib

Guest Rod

G,Day Forum,

Just bought the best J250 with intention to convert to amphibian mid next year. Has any one seen or heard of a Jabiru J230 or the US J250 as a float plane. I have seen the Jabiru Calypso at Jabiru Canada and while this assists does not run true to form for the extended body J250. I have sourced the 1800 lb Shark composite 4 wheeler retact amphibs for the installation. While the Shark factory will assist and has a lot of knowledge on float installations they have not fitted one specifically to a J250. The Jabby factory in Aus said someone up north was also looking into it. If you are on the forum or know of any information regarding one worldwide please drop me a line. Reading the float install to the Terrier in this months RAA gives a good heads up to the variables that need to be addressed. The less head scratching, tummy rubbing moments incurred, the better. To find, beg, buy, borrow or steal someones setup and advice would be of significant assistance to the project.

Appreciate your assistance.

Cheers

Rod

------------------------------------

Peace of mind comes with knowledge.

You said you had seen the Canada Jab float "thingie". Thats one up on me. Tried emailing them after Jab factory recommended talking to them as I was interested in 230/250 on floats. Never replied !

Best of luck with your project. I have now gone another route myself.

G,Day Heon, I was checking your Petrel out a few posts back. Bet you can't wait to get it. I am torn between the wing thing. I currently have high wing, low wing and a no wing, play thing, where you have rolled it all into one twin wing thing. Arrgg enough!!.

I really liked the Seamax except for the wing and price, dreamt about the Icon A5 except it will only carry me and a 45 kg model type passenger and could not get one till 2015, After much head and bum scratching I decided on fitting amphibs to a J230. Then a real stroke of luck and came accross a J250 with high cord wing with a 3 blade prop built here in Aus by a guru builder. Got some info from a fellow forum scribe who put me onto Mead floats in Melbourne. They are assisting with the setup for another J230 owner in Aus and Jabiru Canada are doing the R&D and testing. Anyway I will be floating around mid next year so hope design and sorting is well under way. I decided early on that I will be a sea runner and all compisite floats and aircraft a neccessity. The only other reason for a high wing was to clear pontoons or jetties a little better. There are plenty of downsides however with floatplanes versus sea planes.

The Jabiru Calypso was a narrow body Jab wih a 170 wing or thereobouts and only sold in US / Canada. Jabiru Canada fitted it with floats. Nice looking install but told it came to greif.

Are you kit building or importing a ready to fly??

JabiruCalypso3300C-IMDS01.jpg.bedb6c62c5bce304afb1705c0273bc8f.jpg

Wish you the best with your Jab and hope it comes out the way you want.

The Super Petrel LS is the new Petrel which is nearly a different aircraft to the old 100...extensive mods to tail and body with 280kg payload, 90L fuel, and greatly improved performance. I found the lower wing no problems and with 15sq/m of area makes short take offs easy.

Spent 10hr in one in Brazil last month. Liked it so much I became the Australian Distributer and will be bringing in both kits and ready to fly (24 rego thus able to be used for training)...have one of each on order. With the AUS/US$ at 87c the factory built (c/w radio,transponder,GPS) should be "fly away, no more to pay" at around AUS$110k at current freight rates. When you look at other imported aircraft costs you will know why I think they should sell.

Aussy Petrel

Good on you. We need a reasonably priced amphib in Aus. Hope they go well for you. Have you got a site or a link to specs??

This style of aviation certainly needs support and encouragement. For me it will be the answer to getting in and out of where I really want to go and see. Can't wait.

Heon.

A friend of mine has nearly completed a Petrel, He tells me there are only 3 in Aus and it is hard to get the training for water use. It would seem to me that he has not heard of your takeover as the distributor. Do you know who can sign off on water operations.

Your post Yenn came in as I was replying to a previous post.

Yes, not many Petrel's in Australia. Ken Horloch was just getting set up to do something about that prior to his untimely death in a car crash late last year. His aircraft, and your frends kit, are Super Petrel 100's. The new model is the LS which is quite different and was required to be purchased on becomming the new distributer, which only happened last month (see listing on Edra site).

Training is a problem in RAA as most (???) previous aircraft were 19 rego. The Super Petrel LS (and some others now) can be factory built and 24 rego, thus training suitable. That is what I purchased. I plan to be able to offer training at Warwick in the future, especially to Petrel purchases on both land and water. RAA accepted my Brazilian qualification so I am OK but it's a requirement that I have plans on solving.

Guest Maj Millard

Heon, I flew right over the top of Warick in the savannah VG heading for Tomos then Townsville on the morning of 14 Sept. Had a good look at town, and then over the airport at about 4000'. Nice looking airport. Quite different to what I expected, having never been there before. Where would you put it in the water there ?, Lake Leslie or the one over by Inglewood.

Replied to the last as private message as I forgot where I was in the site.

Lake Leslie at about 5nm from Warwich Airfield will be well used. Coolmunda Reservoir (Inglewood), Lake Cressdrook (Crows Nest), and Maroon Lake (Boonah) are three of other alternatives within 70 nm that will provide different "runways". Gold Coast and northern rivers of NSW also well within reach.

• 1 year later...

Those guys in Canada are Unrealiable - go your own direction trust me

FP

G,Day Forum,Just bought the best J250 with intention to convert to amphibian mid next year. Has any one seen or heard of a Jabiru J230 or the US J250 as a float plane. I have seen the Jabiru Calypso at Jabiru Canada and while this assists does not run true to form for the extended body J250. I have sourced the 1800 lb Shark composite 4 wheeler retact amphibs for the installation. While the Shark factory will assist and has a lot of knowledge on float installations they have not fitted one specifically to a J250. The Jabby factory in Aus said someone up north was also looking into it. If you are on the forum or know of any information regarding one worldwide please drop me a line. Reading the float install to the Terrier in this months RAA gives a good heads up to the variables that need to be addressed. The less head scratching, tummy rubbing moments incurred, the better. To find, beg, buy, borrow or steal someones setup and advice would be of significant assistance to the project.

Appreciate your assistance.

Cheers

Rod

Peace of mind comes with knowledge.