T 500 aluminium tank

Tony

I've bought this single seater T?? (83,84,85) well and in a good order today.

She needs a new propper fuel tank. Mean time I am learning on another T500 and I want fit exactly the same aluminium tank in my own new aircraft now. Where to get the proper tank ?

BTW, guys this is not too funny, we tipped over the old fibroglass tank only to see a full handfull of the loose fibro bits and pieces which were blocking the old tank outlet !

Any advice is appreciated, believe me, the old tank is not going to fly at all.

You can give me a line on [email protected]

Milan Anthony Vlasak

Guest Maj Millard

Probabily quicker to borrow an original, and get an exact copy made up in Alum as in T500. You probabily won't find the manufacturers anymore. Also make sure that your particular model aircraft is capable of carrying that amount of fuel, in that position, in respect of CG position, take-off weight etc etc...................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Right, OK, It looks like I'll take the old tank to somebody who can make exact copy with the fairing in aluminium incl. holding points etc. Thanks for that.

Guest Maj Millard

Probabily your safest option at the moment. With changes in fuels lately some fiberglass tanks have been shedding fibers a bit, and with a well made alum tank you won't have to worry. Cheers.............................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Aluminium Tank.

Best way to go. I would put baffles to stop fuel sloshing and (Dreaming) consider the treatment that race cars use to stop fire. (If you know someone who can do it cheap) be a nice touch. The fuel tank in a thruster is a long way back and will have a big effect on the C of G. Nev.

As it shapes-up now, I would hold on the old tank with the original fairing etc, but make an insertion tank inside of it from aluminium, using the old tank as a bracket.

• 1 year later...

I had cause to inspect the inside of my tank with a boroscope?? - camera on a flexible lead - but couldn't get to the bottom of the tank from the inlet because the holes in the baffles don't line up. There goes my idea of dipping the tank to double check enough fuel. I think, when the time comes, I'll fill in 5 litre lots so I can mark the transparent sight hose in increments. My point? Make sure your baffle holes line up if you want to dip your tank.

Pud

PS. I realise this is an old thread, but someone might find this info useful.