Licence Questions

Guest Pioneer200

Guest Pioneer200

Hi, What are the requirements regarding a New Zealander with a Microlight licence being able to fly a RA AUs registered plane in Austrailia?

I am visiting Melbourne in Feburary for a week and would be keen on going for a wee flight while i am there. What are the best airports near Melbourne to fly from? What price should i budget for per hour in a Jabby over there??

:drums:110_closed.gif.a392821970f4971bbab8b2a27aea78f5.gif

A week to fly.

The Aircraft operated by the RAAus in Australia are operated with a pilot CERTIFICATE, which to be valid, the person MUST be a current financial member of the RAAus. I think you can do 3 hours with an instructor without this happening. Confirm this with the head office. There may be some reciprocal agreement, but I doubt it. I am sure that if you book ahead there will be plenty of flying schools who will fit you in, around Melbourne. RAAus have a good web site and I am sure that all the flying schools are listed. Good luck and welcome. Nev

Guest Pioneer200

just to clarify, ours is a microlight CERTIFICATE not LICENCE, don't know why they don't call it a licence, maybe it sounds to professional!!

Follow on.

I am not defending the situation, just stating it. There might be a requirement for ICAO compliance. Regardless of what it is called it is enough to get you in the air legally and happily in Australia. You appear to have a better system over there. The easy option for short term is to fly with an instructor. There are some pretty complex airspace situations around Melbourne, and most schools would want to give you a flight test before you took one of their planes anywhere anyhow. You will find this is the case generally wherever you go, even if you just change flying schools. A good instructor should know if you are performing within minutes of going flying with you, but I guess if anything went wrong, then a 10 minute check would look inadequate. Nev

Hi Pioneer and welcome..

Id definitely contact RA AUS because they will have a definitive answer for you..

There are a few RA schools that are an hour or two out of town(further out than Lilydale) that can avoid the busier and more complicated airspace around Melbourne and have some nice scenery to boot..

If you are happy to have a bash around with an Instructor sitting next to you the Lilydale is probably the closest to the Melbourne CBD...

If you want a bit more specific info on the schools i personally have had experience with feel free to PM me and Il give you some more info on what (little) i know!

:thumb_up: