An Introduction

MegaHertz

Hi,

Just joined the forum - still finding my way about but what a lot of great information!

Just dipping a toe into the world of aviation, following a excellent birthday surprise organised by my wife last Sunday - a trial introductory flight at Coldstream! (Actually probably not technically a TIF as it was in a VH reg Piper Cherokee Warrior as the RVAC Techncam was U/S and Dick thought the two of us would be a bit tight in the Jabiru!)

Am now somewhat hooked, and thinking about ways to slowly work towards a PPL. Was thinking of going the recreational aviation route because of cost, but have also had suggested to me that a (relatively) inexpensive way to get into the air maybe to start with gliding. This has its attractions as it would get me in the air sooner, rather than having to wait a year or two as I would probably have to if going a RA or GA route straight off.

Anyway, looking forward to hanging about for a bit. Also glad to hear any opinions of my plans for starting out.

Forgot to add that my ultimate goal is for cross country flights from Melbourne region, probably towards NSW south coast - tend to spend a fair bit of time up there as family has a property and would love to avoid the 8+ hour drive!

Welcome MHz - from what you say in your post it is probably too late to warn you about what a pernicious bug aviation is! Enjoy - one bit of advice though, don't focus too much on what a licence is likely to cost and whether you have the money available now, nibble away at it slowly, an hour or so at a time and enjoy the experience along the way.

Hi MHz,

Time is irrelevant when learning...

Things you cannot control usually extend the fun.

Start with what you would like to end up with.

Gliding involves a lot of different skills to powered flight.

I started in February and have only just completed my X-country for RAA, and haven't regretted any of the eight months in the learner seat!

Stanzahero.

Hi MHz (looks like the acronym is going to stick), welcome to the forums.

All the advice has been given, e.g. it’s probably a long way to glide from Melbourne to Eden.

Except that I can add if you get a cold toe when you dip it into the aviation pool, don’t chicken out until have put your whole self in and still shiver.

Regards, Decca.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Hey G'day MHz! Great to have you on the forums and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here, a great group of fabulous members. :thumb_up: 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

Gliding is great fun, a unique kind of fun I reckon, and you get good at your landings, because there is no "going round" if you muck it up...!:ah_oh: It is a great way to get to know the weather and the sky we spend a lot of time in to... I've only done a little bit of gliding though, but really enjoyed it.

I to was seriously contemplating doing gliding first before RA certificate, but due to not having a real lot of time to spend each day, I chose to do the RA, that way I could do 1-2hrs a day once a week, and then continue working the rest of the day, whereas gliding would take up a whole day for possibly only the same hrs.

Now having finished my RA cert, and Cross country, and a few other bits and pieces... I'm a pretty happy chappy, and really can't wait till I can get in the air again! Even though It's only been just over a week since flying, I'm starting to really want to go up again! I'm telling you it bites hard this flying thing!!!

Have fun, and if gliding will get you in the air sooner... Go for It!:thumb_up::thumb_up:

Stanzahero Congratulations on finishing your X-country, there's nothing stopping you both now eh?!:thumb_up::big_grin:

Hi Megahertz..

Your forum name wouldnt have anything to do with the footy team the Megahertz would it?I.e Rockdogs vs Megahertz?..

Im probably barking up the wrong tree...

Anyhoo.Welcome to the forums..There's a stack of info on here, and plenty of good flying in vic..

Ive done and am doing the RA and GA route, and I cant recommend highly enough the benefits of RA flying, so enjoy..

Cheers

SImon

Hi,This has its attractions as it would get me in the air sooner, rather than having to wait a year or two as I would probably have to if going a RA or GA route straight off./QUOTE]

Hi MHz, we had a student from Singapore. Came in with no previous knowledge, fresh and eager to learn. Left 2 weeks later with his RA.Aus cert. to fly. Mind you, he slept on a sofa in the school, ate when ever he could get a lift into the local town, and flew, and flew and flew. He returned to Singapore one very happy pilot. All you need is time, ability, eagerness and money.

Thanks for the kind welcome and the opinions... More food for thought.

My aim is to get there eventually - not in a tearing hurry - just need to work out a way so I start sooner rather than later!

See you all around.