Expressions of interest?

Tomo

G'day,

After just recently going to Oakey for the flyin, I've been trying to think of a better way to tie the aircraft down... The screw things you can get are great for softish dirt, but are really hard to screw into our dry and hard soil at the moment, and the one peg/stake works really good when driven in far enough, but I had a bit of a hard time trying to pull them back out by hand!

So I made up this little thing, I don't know if it's already been done before, but it seems to work pretty good. Using four pegs, pegging each corner down, for vertical pull - put the pegs on a large angle out, and for side ways pulling - just a little angle. I don't know how much it would handle, though I did tie a rope to the fourwheeler motor bike and all it did was lift the front wheels off the ground of the bike. Doing a jerk pull it did pull it out of the ground and bent the pegs, but that would be a fairly good amount of pull to do that!

Just for comparison sake, the bike can tow a four wheel drive easily enough, so it would have a fair bit of pressure on the test pull I guess!

The dimensions are 140mm square x 2mm thick 316 Stainless steel, also having a stainless steel pull loop. Weighing in at 300grams each, The pegs I just made from 6mm rod roughly about a foot long, four of those weigh about 280grams. I will probably make some out of stainless steel, that way it's all rust proof.

So if you would like one, or three or whatever... They will probably run in at about $20 each or $25 with pegs... or Three for $55 or $70 with pegs. They are made out of all stainless components, hopefully the pegs will be also soon.

Pictures to look at -

[ATTACH]8891.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8889.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8888.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8886.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8890.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8887.vB[/ATTACH]

DSC07811.jpg.edac839e0362f636cb85172fc7c6bd73.jpg

DSC07813.jpg.1a9b3dcbbaab3709b9b9787c93b50b5f.jpg

DSC07817.jpg.e04f7e100ab563bcace3190a5eb2cead.jpg

DSC07818.jpg.f466b6d4648754f1a8617c35a266505f.jpg

DSC07819.jpg.015715ec57569be123adb0ba36710ef9.jpg

DSC07820.jpg.98860788a3ec8ff1363eb14b2a3def2f.jpg

Thanks Maj,

Those screw-its are jolly hard to screw into hard packed dirt, that's the reason I did the peg idea, and the pegs are reasonably easy to pull back out again, one by one.

I'm certainly going to use these anyway, all three weighing less than 2kg including a small hammer all works out pretty good to me.

Guest Maj Millard

There was an American video that I viewed recently where they compared three different tiedowns. I think they had something like yours. You may try googling 'tie down tests' It may have even been on this forum.

Is this commercial advertising...hmmmm :raise_eyebrow:

Sorry Ian... not really, I just made these up for myself, and thought if anyone else would like one, I'm welcome to do so...

Though If you think so, your welcome to remove the thread.

;) - No probs Tomo, your post count and history says it all and it is helping others and not as a commercial enterprise but I had to ask just so others don't get the wrong idea that you can use this site just as a means to promote their commercial wares ;)

Thanks Ian. I'm thinking I might have to do the pull test with a tester and just see how much it really can hold... I know sideways its plenty, but straight up I'm not real sure.... I did lift it out the ground with the forklift without even blinking... but that's over two tonne :ah_oh:

Guest Maj Millard

Hey Ian, Tomo, if this ends up being a good product Ian's shop would be a great first/exclusive ? outlet ??.......................................just a thought that may help you both.

Haha! Nothing but the best Drizzt...! It isn't that expensive when you consider the size plate you're using. The stainless tie loops were the most expensive part though!! I'm going to make my own next time...

Nothing worse than coming to something and it's all rusty looking!

Also stainless is a loooooooot stronger than mild steel!