Jump to content

Microlight operation in CTA

Guest kylesaltmarsh

Recommended Posts

Guest kylesaltmarsh

Hi All;


I've been interested in microlighting for a few years, and am now about to take my first few lessons (YAY!).


Being new to the arena, i'm after some information on microlight operation in different airspaces; i've googled and CASA'ed, but haven't been able to find any solid answers yet.


My situation: I live in Albury with my better-half, and have am being relocated to Canberra. This will mean work in ACT Mon-Thur and traveling back to spend the long weekend at home. Whilst the drive wouldn't kill me, i'd love to be able to gain some hours during the commute!


My question is this:


Can microlights operate in class C & D airspace, and if so, under what conditions (how to go about it).


Any light you could shed on the topic would be most appreciated.







Link to comment
Share on other sites



Welcome to the forum good place to collect info


You have asked twice and not got an answer yet so


at present you need min PPL ( private pilot not RAA ) to operate in CTA.


Some microlight ac can fly into CTA with the correct equip ag GOOD radio / transponder.


A good way to check for info on any subject is to use the search function. If you put a search in for " controlled airspace " I am sure you will find a number of recent threads on the subject as it has been very topically recently


or look at thread http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/raaus/46932-advice-ceo-regarding-entry-into-controlled-airspace.html


Hope this helps



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a concept, how about a VH regoed trike for trike pilots to train for their PPL in to be able to fly CTA?031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

The XT912 Streak/Cruze was certified in primary category so it could theoretically be registered as VH. Not sure how you would go about getting a PPL though as I doubt many GA instructors or examiners are weightshift endorsed !







Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to see that we Trike pilots are already past the first stage of learning - not knowing what we don't know.


I think that instruments could be fitted and a WM rated GA instructor could be found, there must be at least one in Oz. But would He/She be willing to do it? I'm also sceptical about whether CASA would even entertain the idea of issuing a "WM Only" PPL.


We're just too far ahead of our times . . . 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif:rotary:



Link to comment
Share on other sites

A trike cannot at present be registered VH. Allthough they are primary category certified and CASA supposedly have the ability to do it - they have not got the procedures in place.


But if you have plenty of time on your hands try asking someone at casa about it!!



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...