Fatal Crash VIC-Wires again

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Man dies in light plane crash

December 24, 2006 02:26pm

Article from: AAP

A MAN is dead after his plane crashed on a private airstrip in Victoria's south-west today.

The single-engine light plane crashed during take-off on a property off the Portland Nelson Road, Nelson, about 9.30am (AEDT).

The man was the only person in the plane and died instantly.

Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) spokesman Mike Cavenagh said three investigators travelling to the accident scene were due to arrive later this afternoon.

The man may have hit power lines during take-off, an ambulance spokeswoman said.

"We believe that the light plane may have actually come into contact with power lines and that may have been the reason for the trouble," she said.

Guest Fred Bear

Typical of them to not know about aircraft types. I emailed them not long ago when that crop duster crashed as they said it was an ultralight 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Yes this is indeed sad news for the festive season.

Channel Ten seemed to get it right. They reported that it was a "light aircraft" that suffered engine problems on takeoff and whilst manouvering to a clear area hit powerlines. Showed a shot of the tail with VH rego. no mention of type or ultralight or recreational aircraft. just the term "light aircraft". Ultralights do not exist anymore do they.

Blue skies and a safe holiday for everyone. Please don't bounce on the highway.

Ozzie

• 3 weeks later...

Most unfortunate accident. The pilot was someone that I knew and he had been flying Austers for many years. He was also a well respected Tug pilot.

With someone with that much flying experience it is hard to understand how they would turn into power lines.

Again shows that just because you may fly a lot mistakes can still be made and is a warning to us all.

You definately have more chance of passing away in a car crash Chris I can tell you that 100%

This has always been a contentious issue / claim.... Someone out there might be able to clarify it(?)

I figure there is no doubt that more people die in cars than planes - but how about when the absolute numbers are compared pro-rata. i.e. fatalities per 1,000 licenced drivers or pilots; or fatalities per 1,000 kilometres driven or flown; etc. ? (I wonder what numbers insurance companies look at in establishing their risk exposure in relation to life insurance).

Guest Fred Bear

Chris,

That's why I use the word chance. I don't have exact figures but alot more likely that someone is going to hit you crossing the road or more likely that someone will run a red and kill you versus getting up there and having a mid air collision with another a/c :) Mate, where is this strip of yours at? My folks place is not too far from you I am guessing. We are about 40km out of Bathurst (by road) and about 5mins flight from Hill End near the Macquarie. May have to catch up one weekend??? We are there often. Out on the Freemantle Rd. PM me. :)