Cross Country

Hi,

Can anyone briefly let me know what theory I need to study for the cross country endorsment?

I only have GA books at hand and need to filter out some unnecessary topics.

Many thanks,

Azhar

I agree with Chris and Ben,

You can never lack the knowledge when it comes to Navigation no matter what your flying. I think we have all been in different difficult situations when it comes to navigation, I recommend learning at least the basics of GA navigation.

You can never rely on these GPS's, the best way to learn and revise is to draw up your own flight plans on WAC charts and investigate the easiest/safest route on the different undulating grounds and weather/climate change.

Guest micgrace
Hi,Can anyone briefly let me know what theory I need to study for the cross country endorsment?

I only have GA books at hand and need to filter out some unnecessary topics.

Many thanks,

Azhar

Hi

A book by Davis J: PPL, A practical Book About Flying Safely 2006 seems to be about the best for easy learn for navs. Even has practice q's as well, though PPL/CPL orientated. There is an ad in the RAAus mag for it.

Micgrace

I wouldn't disagree with the previous posts but, whilst the principles are the same, there are some practical differences navigating in a 40kt open cockpit trike compared to a Cessna.

Preparation / proper planning is even more important because its much harder to do once you are in the air. For example, there is nothing to stop you learning how to use a whizz wheel (& it is in the RAA syllabus) but you can forget it after take off.

For a good, basic explanation of the theory you could do a lot worse than Cosgrove's "The Microlight Pilots Handbook". Be aware that its written predominately for the UK so doesn't cover the many different types of chart here.

If possible, find an instructor with decent x-c experience in trikes to explain all the tricks & tips of putting the theory into practice.

Cheers

John

Guest Brooksy

Filter out any references to ADF & VOR usage, unless of course you have them fitted. But ONLY until you are confident with all the other aspects of navigation, then learn about them. As the other guys have iterated, the more you learn now the better off you'll be WHEN you get into strife.

Mate you just don't know... The day you get into strife you may be in a GA aircraft with a rusty pilot.

Anything and everything you can learn about navigation makes you a better pilot.

Azhar,

Good to hear you are up on the web - I presume Hicksie will be taking your X-country?

I completed my X-country with him 18 months ago and the theory is not dissimilar to that of GA. The bugger sent me out over the outback where you cannot distinguish one tree from another - this brought all the prinicpals home and I learnt valuable lessons in the process. I have a reference book in my hangar - I will be happy to loan it to you for reference as it is specific to Trikes that provides for much slower x-country as well as managing in an open-cockpit format.

Unless you have been triking (and knowing you graduated in the Pegasus) you cannot appreciate the minimal amount of alternative planning you can do with the wind rushing by at 50knots?

I have found after completing numerous trips (the most recent over the festive season was 900nm) that I am still learning. I have also developed a neat system for plotting up maps electronically, printing and laminating and using these on my kneeboard - this has provided me a useful guide in addition to a trusty GPS.

If you wish to, we could hook up together at Montpelier and I will take you on a short Nav to show you some of the tricks and traps?

Thanks

Hi all,

Many thanks. Yes you all are absolutely right - there's no limit to how much you can learn. I'm just so eager to get going so I guess I need to take a breather and take it step by step.

But I must admit, an open cockpit certainly does pose difficulties.

Hi Perry - excellent to hear from you. Will catch up soon to show you my new trike.

Many thanks,

Azhar

I'm in the same situation at the moment but I won't be doing the flying part for a couple of months.

What I have found to be quite useful is using microsoft flight simulator coupled with Active Sky.

With these I can plan my cross country trips and then fly them using the actual winds aloft - and it does make a huge difference.

My two cents worth....

Cheers........Doug

The big difference I've found between GA and RAAus is the lack of a Directional Gyro. It is the one tool I really miss, even though I fly a stable fast aeroplane. To fly a Thruster in turbulence was, I found hard to hold a heading because the liquid compass bounces. I used to bank to about 12 degrees for a rate 1 turn and count seconds to change heading and still do similar in the Corby.

The effects of wind are much greater in slow aircraft so a lot of the theory is far less precise, but I agree with those that say use all the knowledge you can get.

Ian Borg

Re: Compass's

Vertical card compass's are really good to fly off, but much more expensive.

Have also found the SIRS 'Pegasus' compass, (available thru Aircraft Spruce & probably others), to be more stable than the standard compass - but, double the price.

As in most things aviation - you get what you pay for !

happy days,

Non X-Country Ruling

Hi,

Can anyone clarify the restriction for non xc endorsement flights?

'Limited to 25nm radius upon point of take-off'.

So could you in theory 'bunny hop' every 25nm to travel further?

If so, does the landing need to be a full-stop landing or touch-and-go?

Azhar

Nice try mate :) but its interpreted to mean your original point of departure. So no bunny hops around the country !

If you are HGFA its even tougher - I believe their interpretation is that it is 25nm from the airfield you trained at. So you can't get your basic pilot certificate then trailer the plane back home to fly from an airfield there.

Azhar,

Just go and get your XCountry - it is a great learning experience and opens up an unlimited amount of options. For the cost and effort it is worth it.

I found the actual training and exams to be relatively easy and worth the extra knowledge.

Guest pelorus32

Hi Azhar,

I just did the theory exam for the X-country endorsement today. It's no big deal.

You'll enjoy both the theory and the practical part of the X-Country. Just Do It!!!

Regards

Mike

There isn't much to it.. Most of it is almost Common sense besides the odd 2 answers that are much the same in the multiple choice which involves an estimated guess haha I think the hard part is trying to find the time to do the 3 hour Dual Nav(s)

Get in quick with your cross country. It would not surprise me in the slightest if the 5 hours minimum was raised to 10 hours in the near future. 5 hours was originally for Thrusters and the like years ago when you barely went anywhere. Things are changing these days and student pilots seem to be taking in the vicitiny of 10-15 hours to get their X-country. It is unfortunate that you are often a victim of your location of training. In Vic, if you got your cert in say Bairnsdale you may never have come across controlled airspace in your area during your training, whereas if you got your cert in Tyabb, Tooradin or Point Cook you will probably take longer to get it due to the complexity of the airspace in comparison, but as a result you'll be able to follow that blue line on the map within a mile AND feel confident about it.