Dynon D100 & D120 price and installation

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

I've been looking at the difference of getting a Dynon system installed overseas compared to getting it purchased and installed here in Australia.

Has anyone here had any experience in purchasing these units here and the cost of getting them installed here in Australia?

At this stage if I purchase them and have them installed overseas it'll cost me $10,400AUD.

I'm just starting my research on this so I haven't priced them here in Australia yet.

Many thanks in advance!

If in built aircraft do not forget the approval required if done in Australia;

LSA requires manufacturers approval

UL probably FAR 35 required

In Super Petrel LS would cost you US$6,805 fitted (EMS-D120 & EFIS-D100)

Guest Brett Campany

Cheers Heon, it'll be installed into a factory built aircraft but not until I get it into Australia. I think it'll save me about $3500 to $4500 or so.

Prices for the eqt itself is the same here (aside from USD conversion) Horsham Aviation are reps here

You do have to pay duties and GST etc through them but you would on whole AC anyway, if you buy direct you can save this (hopefully) but loose local support, they do carry some bits and apparantly can help with service units etc if yours ever has to go back

You maybe saving with cheaper installation OS.

D100 is quite simple, 120 takes alot of work, but depends on engine and sensors.

Im very impressed with my D180, got the AP servo installed and it works beautifully. I would go the way you are if I was going again, D100 and D120.

JR

• 2 weeks later...

All the 'glass' units are improving and Dynon probably is leading the way for affordable 'lower-end' panels. Their new stuff looks great.

We've had all their stuff, from D-10A EFIS and EMS, thru' D100 EFIS + D120 EMS, and now D180 alone, installed in RV's built here - and it's been very reliable. I'd have to say - a whole heap more reliable than the cheap analog gauges that VANS sells.

My RV-9A, completed in August 2008, has not a single analog gauge in it. It has a Dynon D-180 on the LHS, which gives everything you need. I used the brightscreen option, and it has a backup battery. I have a Garmin 296 which is linked thru a Tru-trak Digiflight 2VS autopilot and thru that it displays on the EFIS screen of the D-180. The whole setup is very easy to fly, even on a few night circuits.

Going 'cold turkey' seems to have worked for me - but many others are still persisting with a hybrid mongrel panel of analog + digital.

Happy days,