Converting to dual control

numptie

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Bob,

Welcome,

I gather from your earlier post that Wayne Fisher may have forwarded some info on Drifters available.....possibly an earlier model with front only controls.

Rear controls can be added to one of Waynes Fisher Mk1 kit planes however I'm not sure about the earlier Maxair Drifter. I recall seeing a posting somewhere in these Drifter forums from Migrace, which indicated that the Maxair was used for training prior to the Drifter becoming certified.....so it may be possible on that type as well.

Wayne is generally regarded as Mr. Drifter in Australia.....what he does'nt know about the type (predominantly airframes and sails), is probably not of great importance. He will explain the pros and cons of your query, including the legalities. He is usually very obliging but always busy, as his business is a one man show.

Another icon is Richard Eacott whose expertise is Rotax engines on Drifters. Great gentleman.

There are also some very talented contributors who are members of this group.....one that springs to mind is Migrace, as mentioned above. I'm sure he will offer some help if you need some technical info.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards

JL

Guest micgrace

Hi All

Depends what category it's registered in. I presume the Maxair Drifter is in 95.10 and amateur built. and you have documentation. If so, convert to 95.55 amateur built along with the mods.

If in 95.10 and was originally factory built (or cannot prove it was amateur built) it stays. No 2nd seat or controls.

The Maxair Drifter was not used for training. Redesigned and certified it became the WB 503 registered under the (then new) 95.25 category. Mine was 25.0180 WB503 These can be used for training to this day.

There was quite a lot of factory built ultralights at the time but all of them, Maxair, Chinook etc were given an amnesty and moved to 95.10 These must stay there. Sorry. In those days you taught yourself to fly (ouch) in a single seater (below 500' and clear of roads people etc) then came along 95.25 and fixed that.

Micgrace

• 7 months later...
Hi Bob,Welcome,

I gather from your earlier post that Wayne Fisher may have forwarded some info on Drifters available.....possibly an earlier model with front only controls.

Rear controls can be added to one of Waynes Fisher Mk1 kit planes however I'm not sure about the earlier Maxair Drifter. I recall seeing a posting somewhere in these Drifter forums from Migrace, which indicated that the Maxair was used for training prior to the Drifter becoming certified.....so it may be possible on that type as well.

Wayne is generally regarded as Mr. Drifter in Australia.....what he does'nt know about the type (predominantly airframes and sails), is probably not of great importance. He will explain the pros and cons of your query, including the legalities. He is usually very obliging but always busy, as his business is a one man show.

Another icon is Richard Eacott whose expertise is Rotax engines on Drifters. Great gentleman.

There are also some very talented contributors who are members of this group.....one that springs to mind is Migrace, as mentioned above. I'm sure he will offer some help if you need some technical info.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards

JL

Jl,

You`ve mentioned,Richard Eacott,do you know where he is and if so could you please let know.

I lost touch with Richard after Austflight closed down,I`d love to know where he is.

Cheers

farri