Lightspeed Zulu problem

I'm not sure if this thread should be here or in Avionics or something so you're welcome to move it wherever...

My lovely new LightSpeed Zulu headset appears to be developing a problem 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

When I turn the ANR on there is a noise as it is turning on but it's been doing that since I got them so I assume that's normal for ANR.

The problem is when I turn the ANR off. There is a loud noise and the earcups actually vibrate a bit. It's only just recently started doing it so I know this isn't normal. The noise is quite loud, I turned it on and off without the headset on my head and I could hear the noise with the headset sitting on the table next to me (so nowhere near my ears). I've tried changing the batteries to see if that helped but no difference.

I'm not really sure how to describe the noise except that it's low pitched and sounds like...I don't know..something coming to a stop? (like when you stop a fan). It's hard to describe.

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? I'm guessing I should take it to the LightSpeed repair place at Moorabbin on Monday or something. Not happy 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Guest drizzt1978

You can certainly hear mine turn on and off? Like a click-dull-tone kinda noise, but that noise you try so hard to describe might be a bit weird?? Can you email them?

Yeah there's usually a noise turning them on and off, but this noise is definitely different (and new). It's loud, kind of like a crackle or a crunch...loud enough that I could hear it about 30cm-1m away. Plus the earcups vibrate (not just a little either), so I'm thinking there's an issue.

I'm thinking of going to the 'authorised service' place in Moorabbin tomorrow, might help to get someone who actually knows what they're doing to have a listen...

Considering I've only used them about 6 times, I'm not too pleased 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Hi Darky,

We have 2 newish sets of Zulu's - well they're sort of new, about 12 months old now. We considered and used both Zulu's and Bose before deciding on the Zulu's. I purchased them in the USA from Aircraft Spruce. Both sets however developed a similar "buzzing" sound as you describe after only a few hours of use and one pair actually lost audio in one earpiece as well.

I took them to a local Avionics repair house on the Sunshine Coast in Qld and they identified the cord from the control box to the headset had "broken". Not sure exactly what "broken" meant but they assured me a wire had cracked and was causing the buzzing... sort of like shorting out. Both sets were repaired 3 times until the length of cable that was left made them almost unusable. At that point I was becoming frustrated to say the least.

I turned to Aircraft Spruce for help and they in turn referred my complaint to Lightspeed USA who in turn referred my complaint to Peter Fleming at Moorabbin Pilot Shop. The nett result is that both headsets are currently with the Pilot Shop for repair under warranty!

I have heard others speak of a similar problem. All I can say that the after sales service from Lightspeed and Moorabbin Pilot Shop is the best and I didn't even purchase from the Australian agent. I have no complaints even though I am without the headsets for a short time. Peters number is 03 9580 6200. Good luck.

Well I took it out to Peter at Moorabbin today

It definitely has a problem...he said he'd never heard one make that noise before :raise_eyebrow: He thought the plates inside the earcups might need to be replaced, whatever that means!

Wonder how long it'll take to get them repaired...

He thought the plates inside the earcups ...

You've got plates and cups in there?? No wonder, the noise is probably the knives and forks clashing together ..... :stirring pot: