First Solo

Guest eland2705

In 't Ol' Country...

when a glider pilot went first solo, that evening we painted the soles of his/her feet with goopy poster paint (colour of the pilots choice) and hoisted them up to the ceiling, so that two foot prints along with name, date and time of flight would be recorded for posterity.

The gliding club house was the old control tower at an old WWII Empire Training Scheme aerodrome in Gwelo, Rhodesia. After a late night "ground training" session, the stairs were very steep and very high!

I often went and sat out on the grass runway, beer in hand, of a late evening and thought of those blokes and what they went through in their DH-82's.

Regards to all,

After my first solo I got a hug and a kiss on the cheek from my female instructor. Very nice, but to be honest I was so happy I wouldn't have cared if I got a hug and a kiss on the cheek from this guy......

First solo, Female Pilot:babe:, Tee Shirt, Bucket of Water:dousing:. Am I the only one seeing the possibilities here. No wonder they give them a :Rogue::killen:Does that make me perverted or sexist?:peepwall:

114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

OK, I'm brave enough to admit it, skeptic36 wasn't the only one to make the wet t-shirt connection...but I wasn't brave enough to admit it first 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late onto this thread, but I was told that the soloist is required to give the instructor a cake, preferably baked yourself!! I kept mine fairly simple but apparently you can go all out and put model aeroplanes on top etc.

chrism

I'm a little late onto this thread, but I was told that the soloist is required to give the instructor a cake, preferably baked yourself!! I kept mine fairly simple but apparently you can go all out and put model aeroplanes on top etc.

Sounds like I'll have to work hard toward being an instructor if thats the case! :thumb_up: