Dacron uv protectant

Over the last few years i have built a few windsocks from ripstop nylon for the private strip i fly out of hear in tassy,they only last a 4-5 months before the uv here deystoys them even after a few weeks the once brite socks that were visable for miles away become faded.

After reading some of the discussions on uv protectant available i thought i would put sum to the test for my socks.So i shelled out $40 for one of the popular brands and sooned recieved it via mail.I conducted a experiment by nailing a few samples of flouro ripstop to my fence in direct sunlight coating 2 of the samples and leaving the other 2 uncoated following directions strictly.The samples have been there for around 8weeks now and i have taken photos at around 4 week intervals and in my experiment i have found that there was absolutely no visable differences in the rate at which the samples faded treated or untreated?So unless someone can demonstate otherwise i wont be using on my wing?

Gary

[ATTACH]9189.vB[/ATTACH]

1208253283_CopyofIMG_0002.jpg.1a51910cb9eba359c081f0c93d9eea67.jpg

UV protectant

Dear Tassytriker,

Please be aware that while some protectants do actually work, once applied to your wing you may not be able to repair it using self adhesive patches.

My advice would be to contact Airborne and ask. The wing designers are aware of the UV problem and are looking at remedies as you will find that they are pilots as well.

Safe flying, Paul.

Gday paul

I was aware that these products can have downsides as you mentioned and there may be some that actually work,the product I used i have heard discussed and know that some people have tried on their wings and the point i was trying to make i guess that is if you

havent seen real evidence that it does provide uv protectant apart from the fact you are creating these other issues(diffuculty of repair,mildew etc) you quiet possibly arent getting any uv protection at all?

regards gary

Hi David,

I painted my volksplane and i am sure i got an extra 12 months life but i did notice my Betts meter was harder to penetrate through to the fibers to get a reading which worried me that it was inaccurate.

Bob.

Hi David,

I used the Randolf Ranthane butyrate paint from the USA - (aircraft spruce), the Dacron was not that far gone but for 10 months the aircraft was outside, the betts test about 18 month later passed but I was worried about the paint thickness giving a false reading so took samples where it was not painted and it failed.

The paint was very good/easy to paint on and stuck well to the dacron. would I do it again,no, so much preparation work for a 1/2 reasonable result. In hind sight(20/20) I should have painted 2 years to 18 months before I actually did.

Bob.