Yeppoon Airstrip

Guest Maj Millard

Was just talking the other day about Hedlow Field, which is half way between Rocky and yeppoon. It was sold to a local pub owner and I don't know if it is still operational. Pity, it was just a great place to stop over at.

There was also another strip near Yeppoon that the skydivers used to use, don't even know if it's still there. Emu park would be your best bet, just behind Emu park. Runs parallel to the beach, and walk to town or the beach, and I seem to recall there is a caravan park on the beach also. Some of the nicest flying I've done was along the capricorn coast. Big and grassy last time I saw it....................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Tango, I just had a gander on Google earth and the Hedlow strip is still there at S 23.13.18 E 150.36.82, and there appears to be another new single strip right across the road with planes present. Status unknown. Also the one just North of Yeppoon is still there, status unknown. The Emu park strip still looks real good just behind town. You also have Old Station to the south, just inland from Raglan north of Gladstone. Maybe you could check a couple out and report back ?...Cheers.......................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hedlow has been closed to us for a long while now. The strip a bit further East and the opposite side of the Rocky Yeppoon Road would be Mt Jim Crow. Not sure if it is still open, but I have landed there and didn't enjoy it. Probably OK for a nose wheel plane, but it is narrow and I couldn't see a thing because of the nose being in the way, There are also wires on the approach into the S.E.

Emu park is a good strip, no problems at all.

Guest redleader

I flew up that way last year and emu park is the go. Just watch the power line at the golf club end. But Is a good strip. I did ring the council and they were as helpful as they could be did tell me when it was last mowed. However they couldn't tell me the condition on a daily basis as there was a bit of rain coming through at the time. However it being slightly sloped did dry out pretty quick.