International Flying

Can we get RAAus to ivestigate an edorsment that would allow us to fly in different parts of the world.

I know that there would be a lot of red tape and a lot of discussions from all of the governing bodies and like usual what rules would we fly under is there a set of international rules. How do jet pilots fly into other countries.

This way when we go overseas to work or for holidaying purposes we can still enjoy our hobby

Cheers

Guest Maj Millard

If our government really respected and abided by ICAO international rules as they profess to, maybe something like that could be possible, as it should be. IE: an international rating. Skydivers have one. Obviously if I go to some far away foriegn country and want to fly, I would expect to at least have to do a check ride, which I don't have a problem with......024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

My skydiving licence is issued by the Australian Parachuting Federation under the FAI sporting code. I can use that rating in most countries usually by just buying a limited membership for insurance purposes.The same with the HGFA ratings. i have never had my HGFA rating knocked back when in Europe (even when non financial). If the RAAus became a part of the FAI then you would probably be able to use your RAAus rating in FAI aligned countries.

Ozzie

International rating.

Not really wanting to dampen your enthusiasm, but I wouldn't hold much hope for this one. Having an ICAO standard would help but I don't think that applies to us and would be an impediment to achieveing anything early, because we would have to trail the world rather than be in the vanguard, or leading it. A while back I thought we might be charting the way for others but I was certainly too optimistic. I will be happily proven wrong.

The nearest thing to an international licence is the American ATR. (Air Transport Rating) which seems to be the most accepted standard, world-wide.

Nobody is ever going to just let you have a plane without a check ride and an air legislation test, and some local knowledge in any case. Particularly if you are operating near control zones and airways IFR routes. It can be expensive when you just relocate as I found when I did that in my younger days. I am talking about within Australia. Some wanted you to do a complete new nav exercise. 4+ hours although your log book had ample evidence of experience. I have had to do it. Obviously a good way of making more money. It should be noted that log books get faked even with higher licences and I know of pilots who flew for some years who never had the required licence. Plenty of countries are not too fussy who gets into the cockpits of their aircraft. Nev

On 2 occasions when I've been travelling, near Perth & near Darwin, by talking the talk, demonstrating knowledge of the aircraft and airmanship and showing my log book and pilot certificate the CFI will let you fly in the command seat while they sit in the other, closely feeling the dual controls.

One of the CFI's let slip his continued doubt after the flight by complimenting how well I handled turbulence on late final, as if he didn't expect it to be handled that well.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Cheers,

Glen

This way when we go overseas to work or for holidaying purposes we can still enjoy our hobby

You can - I've flown microlights / ultralights / recreational in over 20 countries. You just need to either get the relevant certificate for the country in question or fly with someone who has one. I don't think RAAus would get very far negotiating with other countries when their pilots are not able to fly recreational aircraft in Aus without having an RAAus certificate !

The reality is that in most countries it is feasible to get a local certificate - they generally recognise prior experience so its just check flights and typically passing airlaw exam. Don't count on being able to hire a plane though as in a lot of places they doesn't happen due to either local rules or insurance problems.

Even with an ICAO licence such as PPL I doubt anyone is going to let you just rock up & take their plane without a check ride let alone when you only have a sub-ICAO recreational certificate (whose requirements for issue vary between different countries).

Cheers

John