Tug pilots

Exadios

• 2 weeks later...
Surely there are lots of tuggers here... Hey don't blame me... thats what they used to call themselves...

I'm sure that there are many pilots here that are tuggers. But it is not them I am talking about. I am talking about pilots that fly the tow planes which are used to launch gliders - and the pilots that do not pack their pants at the thought of landing in a paddock.

Guest rocketdriver

Xadios, you asked if there where any tug pilots around, and clearly you have something in mind .... as a "has been" tow plane pilot (a "tuggie") I would be interested in what you want to know .... and for the record, a paddock landing was ALWAYS a high tension (pun intended) event ... but good fun too ..... it brought some variety into a day that usually consisted of about 4 hours of 10 minute circuits .... learnt how to spot land tho'!!

Regards

Martin

Xadios, you asked if there where any tug pilots around, and clearly you have something in mind .... as a "has been" tow plane pilot (a "tuggie") I would be interested in what you want to know .... and for the record, a paddock landing was ALWAYS a high tension (pun intended) event ... but good fun too ..... it brought some variety into a day that usually consisted of about 4 hours of 10 minute circuits .... learnt how to spot land tho'!!Regards

Martin

As you point out you were a tuggie - not a tugger. Sorry, but I got a little annoyed with some of the flippant posts.

Our club is blessed with a sufficient number of tuggies. But we are all getting older and the average age of our tuggies is increasing. We have already had a few medical scares. We should be training the next generation of tuggies right now.

As you point out, a tuggie needs to be a very skillful pilot. The chance to use their flying skills seems to be the main inducement for pilots to become tuggies.

What I'm interested in is whether other clubs have an aging tuggie problem and what they may have done about it.