Strip flying

Guest Pioneer200

Guest Pioneer200

Hi, I had a good morning last saturday flying into an airstrip adjacent to the dairy farm my bro works on.

Went in with the clubs chief instructor and did two landing with him then 3 touch and gos myself.

I am now signed off to use the strip as i please which will give me a reason to visit my bro more often

It was/is a great experience lining up for finals to a short narrow strip with trees on approach and a fence at the far end

Lucky we had about 10 knots blowing straight down the strip.

I will not attempt to land there in one of our famous"norwesters", or any crosswind above 8 - 10 knots

Strip is about 460m long and 14m wide.

Q. What is the shortest narrowest strip any of you would consider taking a J160 into at MAUW.??

This is assuming standard 1013.2 pressure and 15 degrees

I found the narrowness more of a challenge that the length.

Next time I fly up there I will post some photos:cool:024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

One of my mates has a strip about 400 m long x 8 m wide, the eastern half grades up at considerably more than 5%....then just to make it interesting there is a 25,000 litre tank (about 3m high) at the threshold and on the centre line at the eastern end of the strip and if that isn't challenging enough for you there is a power line across the threshold at the western end. I havent attempted it in the Jab yet but the Lightwing gets in there fine.:thumb_up:

Its 8 m wide for the wheels with rocks either side. The fence is 3 or 4 m wider again. Yeah, it is a bit narrow...particularly the first time in....but you get used to it. The track on the Lightwing is about 2.7 m wide so it pays to fly fairly accurately. Its good practice and keeps you on tour toes....pearicularly in a tail wheel a/c.

Not for me. I can't see ahead when I am in the landing attitude, have to watch the sides and it gets very interesting sometimes. Ive landed twice at Jim Crow, near Rocky and decided it was twice too often.

Guest Pioneer200

tango charlie, its to do with our insurance policy,

We need to have an instructor join us for first time into a strip to see we understand the complexities of that strip

So yeah , its only for insurance purposes