What about this!

BigPete

Big Pete - I think (could be wrong) that it does as much as my mobile phone which sends an SMS message to my wife with my coordinates every x mins - and it is using the GPS in my phone - if I set it to do it say every 15mins and the minute she doesn't get one something can be done with my last known coordinates - not sure if this helps you mate!

In a word NO, The only ELT/B approved for Aviation or offshore Maritime use must be approved and reigistered with AMSA (Aust, Maritime Safety Auth.) Spot is a private company that operates on a fee for service and is predominately a GPS tracking facility with an Emergency tag on, which utilises public and private infrastructure. I.e. Email SMS Emergency services "000" etc

Rgds

I don't see why a device that will alert someone that I am in need of assistance, would not be accepted by the AMSA. After all, the Victorian government will be relying big time on private phone carriers to alert people via their mobile phones during high threat of bushfires.

regards

Interesting idea, but no substitute for the real thing when the poo strikes the propellor. At least with a proper 406Mhz beacon you interface directly with the relevant emergency authorities, wherever you may be. This system relies on a private contractor passing your details to the SAR authorities.

Hi BP

Yep,I know where you are coming from,except aviation is controlled by the "Feds" ,and AMSA is funded by the "Feds' so the err,..! feds have the last say, as we are all aware(Believe me it's gunna get worse!) I think we have to realize that aviation is not a parochial industry it is International and wherever we fly we should expect a (within reason) safe and sometimes supported trip. and not withstanding the same for other airspace users, (and no, I am not a CASA stooge)And having a good look at the "private" offering .I think you would get better bang for your buck from the "Feds" ............at least they will give you a 50mtr rad to find a body and or life All the sms Email .......aaroooogah! warnings will not give you that chance of survival It will only advise you that your fait is in jeopardy!

Rgds

Leigh

And, PS Big Pete,

It is not as if AMSA would not hear it ,they can't hear it unless it referred to them from the Commercial Operator who, would look after their commercial interests before calling up the world wide authority

Rgds

Leigh