Class D approach points (ex GAAP points)

Guest Qwerty

I contacted CASA with my thoughts and recommendation about the idiot GAAP approach points. CASAs response is copied below. It seems that we have had a win.

I have spoken with CASA's Office of Airspace Regulations and can advise that the GAAP entry points are changing to Class D approach points which are recommended only thus providing a little flexibility which both ATC and pilots should be able to exploit to a degree. But the approach points will still remain and are there for a reason such as for the larger GAAP aerodromes of MB & BK.

Owen Richards

Manager

CASA Operations

Qwerty

I must be missing something.

Exactly what is Mr Richards trying to tell us? The way I read it, they are changing but remaining the same.

If GAAP's become class D airspace, they become "controlled" airspace and not available to most in RA-Aus anyway.

Basically, at GAAP reporting points you are requited to report overhead which I feel is dangerous and stupid. Class D approach points are used as a point of referance. So you can report "approaching" a reporting point while still 2, 3 or 4 miles away but on the way in. That way we don't all have to go the the exact same point in the sky.

You are right, it only affects pilots flying into CTA.

Published reporting points are generally not within the GAAP or future control zone as with, for example, the 2RN tower for Bankstown. VFR separation is provided by the pilot as he would anywhere in class G airspace. Class D VFR entry can be omni directional but reporting points are constrained by airspace corridors at Bankstown. Realistically to the three options as is now. Mr Richards letter is, I think, trying to tell us that things will stay basically the same despite the name change. I'm not sure how much flexibility ATC will grant under these circumstances.

If you say approaching a point there is no way that ATC can know where you are. They can assume or guess, but they will not know. If you say when you are over the approach point they will know where you are and you are responsible for maintaining clearance from others. You are flying VFR. There are not so many other planes around that it creates a hazard, and knowing others will be heading for the same spot tells you where to expect traffic.

I am not much impressed by a system that REQUIRES everyone to fly to EXACTLY the same point in the sky. At least when you call "approaching" you are mixed up in and area that is probably about 8 or 10 square miles by up to about 3000 feet deep. Once my call is made everyone knows where I am, or at least roughly where I am. I like those odds better than everyone at precicely the same point then making a call. I still get the vigilance jitters but at least I'm not Kakking my pants.