Where to Next?

Flashheart

Hi Folks,

First time forum user, and thought this might be a good place to chat to some people before planning my next big flying trip.

I'm planning on leaving YSCN around April/May in a 182, to do a lap of this Big Brown Land. I'm thinking of heading north, keeping Australia on the left and getting Back to YSCN a few weeks later. Any thoughts on places to stop on the way, places for fuel etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I suppose the first step will be finding the appropriate forum in which to pose these questions.question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

Hey welcome,

Your trip sounds great, I'd like to do a similar thing in the not to distant future.

I can recommend Wynyard Good crew and close to town, actually the strip is in town. Also, Georgetown, I fly from there. You will like Friendly Beaches on the east coast but you will need to hitch a lift the 14 km into Coles Bay and Freycinet National Park. Drop in to Maria Island (also a park) for a BBQ on the coin-gas BBQ.

If the locals are about Yarram is a friendly stop. They have a club house there that is available for pilots to stay for a day or two. You will need to ask one of the locals to run you 6 - 8 km to town for supplies or a counter meal.

I recently visited Arkaroola (SA) that is worth a stop. I was only there overnight but I'm going to go back.

Cheers, Qwerty

Hey Qwerty, thanks for the reply. I must admit I hadn't thought of including the Apple Isle in my adventure.025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

I think it's a great idea though, I've never crossed the straight before (in a small plane anyway!).

I don't know if you can tell on such a small picture, but my Avitar pic is of the old bird when I took her to Arkaroola earlier this year. Did you have a look through their telescopes?

You can't lay claim to flying around Oz if you don't come to Tas. The only bragg you can make is that you have seen half the country....the North Island. :thumb_up:

Didnt get to the telescopes, I was on a delivery trip, we stopped, ate, slept and buggered off. Thats why I'm going back.

Cheers, Qwerty

Hey Flash, welcome to the site. I can highly recommend Cameron Corner as an overnight stop. I rode my motorbike out there last week (would rather have flown though, just ask my hands and bum after 1300k's in two days!) and the managers are really pro-aviators visiting. You can taxi right up to the roadhouse and the meal is fantastic. It really is in the middle of nowhere but that's the highlight. Basic a/c cabins and a lot of the old outback culture and a cold beer or three! Just give them a call and find out the condition of the strip and if it's not up to scratch the manager will go and make sure it's right. He seems to be pretty proud of getting the strip right.

Might be a good stopover after you've been to Arkaroola as Qwerty mentioned. :thumb_up:

Hi Relfy, I stopped at Tibboburra when I did my interior trip, which I think was as close as I got to Cameron Corner. (Sounds like a good bike trip with a couple of mates though) This time I'm thinking of staying more coastal, except for a few shortcuts eg. I may have to chop off a bit of FNQ. I only have about 4hrs endurance and plan on about 120TAS. Maybe Cairns or Townsville before I turn left??

I haven't started planning in earnest yet ( Next week when I get some time off work 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif) But the biggest hole in my plans at the moment are FNQ and WA.

G'day Trike,

Do you know if there much to see from Port Headland to Perth coastal or would via Meekatharra be more interesting?

Go coastal inland is a bit boring except for maybe Karijni Gorge. There is a small strip nearby but no fuel there. But you could refuel at Tom Price or Parabadoo both mining communities. Parabadoo probably be best? Need an ASIC card there though. Got to Coral bat beautiful scenery and another nice long runway there, (not sure if sealed now?? can be windy though at this time of year but autumn onwards ok.

Just found out at Bunbury they have onsite basic accomodation there at the Bunbury flying school. Contact Blair Howe (owner) Here is their website Flying School

You have to go to Exmouth too Great scenery there and good runway.Yu could fly south from port hedland to karijini Gorge and then fly across to Exmouth and make your way down the coast from there that's what i would recommend. Are you going to Broome? You have to do that too! Great scenery here!

Sounds like a lot of fun and lots of ideas on places to include in the itinerary.

The QANTAS Founders museum at Longreach is a must for anyone who hasn't seen it. From there up through Mt Isa and then onto the Barkly Homestead (fuel = ok) and across to Tenant Creek ($22 landing fee - ouch!).

In WA, if you are coming down through Meeka, try the Mt Augustus Station "resort" and say "hi" to Don and Dorothy Hammerquist from me. If on the coast keep Millstream in the back of your mind as an alternative to Port Headland and Karatha where accommodation is scarce and expensive.

I know most people cross the Nullabor along the rail line because it's direct, but the coast around the Bight is a great look and you may see some whales if lucky.

Have a great time

kaz

Do not know what your expearance level is but you may want to think of doing a tag along.

There are a number of companies out there but I have been with Val and Graeme of Stawell Aviation (in Victoria)and they are very professional and run very good trips all over Australia. Use their own 172's/182 with other tag along aircraft.