Heliview??

Riley

Am curious if the Lightwing 'heliview' version is factory/kit built or is it an option available as an aftermarket upgrade to an existing aircraft? Any info (availibility, fitting requirements, approx costing etc etc) would be very helpful in my deliberations. Tks in anticipation.

Hi Riley, The answer is, All of the above but retrofitting the heliview instrument pannel would be a painfull and expensive exercise. There are plenty of standard pannel LWs that have had the heliview windows retro-fitted. (I think Majors avatar shows his?) This is a good,easy compromise if you have a standard layouy and want more vision.

Guest Maj Millard

The Majors is a stock, out of the factory heliview, with heliview dash and windows. I love the windows and dash, but I have flown with the standard dash and they are fine also. It would not be difficult to put the side windows in an aircraft not so equipped, and well worth the effort in my opinion.....The little bit of plastic pipe mounted on the tube against the side window is to eliminate a little prop induced vibration, and works well. Some earlier side windows were smaller than the current ones, but the large ones are nice..............................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

pic15.jpg.86c0c6c76595355b25f6f5e59c7ce497.jpg

pic05.jpg.b90db9fb64f22fb20aacea8080aadf0e.jpg

828201351_myphotos08089.thumb.jpg.e48a41b5c4ff92e3b1d3bf7d408e59e9.jpg

IMG_0203.thumb.jpg.f09c590f952ace0a25cbdf895c3a43f0.jpg

pic03.jpg.d89f1ba58429bdd9a0aa1b64c6ffe83a.jpg

Editted.thumb.jpg.924089a3f713f3d7446ac0067b840263.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Querty, I'm so cool when I'm flying I need all the heat I can get !!!.......No seriously I don't ever recall even noticing it, I do always fly with the side air vents open.....Cheers Maj.

Thanks for the photos Maj,

Takes me back to 2004 when I did 6+ hours of instruction in a Lightwing but couldn't manage the landings so eventually moved on to the much easier Gazelle. Now that I have finished my endorsement on the Thruster (I know its a different type of aircraft:laugh:) I wonder how I'd go on the Lightwing - methinks I'd do ok now:big_grin:

Pud

Guest Maj Millard

Pud, I think if you can tame a Thruster you should be able to do the same in a Lightwing. Just like a good horse they have an individual nature, and you just need to work out the best method with which to keep control. Just like any flying machine really ?....................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Gents for the replies & pics. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards a GR912 upgrade from my rag & tube machinery but until I quit something, I can only just afford the hole that the heliview windows fit into. Knowing that the cook will shoot me if I try the "I bought this because I'm gonna get rid of something else" (reckons she's been caught twice before), I'm presently restricted to collecting info and contact details for a purchase in the hopefully-not-too-distant future.

Cheers Riley

Guest Maj Millard

Good luck with that Riley, there are some nice one's around at the right price, and you won't be dissapointed as they are a very honest aeroplane, a lot of fun to fly, and rugged. Cheers Maj..........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yeah Maj,

You've got me thinking.... Where is there an instructor close handy with a Lightwing? I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open.

Riley, You can't blame the cook really - most guys are lucky to have one aircraft to call their own but good luck in acquiring your GR912. Might see you around sometime eh?

Pud

• Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

Yes Adam, but you'll definitly need to upgrade out of that Thruster, for a decent shot at me !!.............Happy New Year mate................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 2 years later...

I found my new lightwing gr 582 very pleasent to fly,much easier than the thruster t500, I found it was very aerodynamic(kill power and she just keeps going) I land it dead stick every time from around 500ft kill power glide at 55 and 3 point her,,.... love it..although would like a lil more ailron aurthority.found out twice so far that when hit by a windgust ailrons are over powered and need to lay in the boot and get her back with rudder aswell. still me no complain.

• Like 1