Mixing Fuel

Skip

Does mixing fuel damage your engine, example normally run on Avgas top up with unleaded or unleaded top up with Avgas and putting two or three full tanks thru before going back to your normal fuel. Any difference between Jabaru or Rotax engines.

Hope You can Help

Skip:help:

Guest Maj Millard

Have done it for many years with the 912 with no problems. I generally mix 100 LL with premium UL but have also mixed 100LL with reg UL with no problems. I try and keep around a 50/50 ratio but you can't always do that..................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

When I'm out bush where there's no premium unleaded for my 912S, I carry some 100LL and blend it 1:4 with regular unleaded. Research that did indicated that a small amount of lead is very effective at boosting RON, and 100LL has Lots of Lead (isn't that what the LL stands for??). It's a much better octane booster than that costly (and largely ineffective) stuff you can buy in little bottles......

JG

100LL is low lead compared to the other one which I have forgotten the name JG3, but still quite a lot.

Mixing the two no problem in Rotax. If I use any non mogas between oil change periods I personally follow Rotax oil change times as if all non mogas used (shorter time).

Guest check-in

I regularly mix BP 98 octane with Avgas in a Jabiru 2200 engine. I change the spark plugs about every 25 hours or as the mood takes me and they always come out looking OK. If anything they are all a bit black which could be a rich mixture. Either that, or the same amount of oil is getting into all cylinders.

When I have to leave my toy for longer than a few weeks, I try to top the tank off with Avgas and fly it for at least 15 minutes on the Avgas, only because of the reputation Mogas has for 'going off' if left too long. Although there is something in the service manual about storing with the carby drained dry and the fuel shut off, I never do that. My theory being that I want it all to stay nice and moist around the seals etc. When I put it back into service I just drain a bit out of the carby bowl to make sure it's not gummed up. So far, so good. The last fuel filter change was after 100 hours of such abuse, and it was as clear as new.