Clare Valley Regional Aerodrome?

Guest basscheffers

Guest basscheffers

Does anyone know any more about the Clare Valley Regional Aerodrome project and the Clare Valley Flying Group?

There's plenty of mention of them in local news articles and council minutes to be found through the Google, but they themselves seem to be hard to find.

I'd love to know how this project is going and when we can all expect to land air aircraft there!

Aerodrome will benefit entire community - Opinion - Editorial - General - The Northern Argus

• 1 year later...
Guest just Mal

Still no definite date for its opening ! but from an article in the Northern Argus 16/03/2011, the drainage under the strip is complete and 5000 ton of crusher sand have been added and rolled, and trees removed .

They are still looking for volunteers and benefactors.

The Committee President : Adrian Smith 0417 842 974

vice Pres : David Wilson 0407 085 979

E-mail [email protected]

Adrian Smith "Technically, aircraft will be able to land as soon as this work is done - the windsock is already there."

What a refreshing thing to see, a reversal of recent trends where aerodromes have been taken over and closed for other developments. It is good to see a community getting behind this with the realisation of the benefits aviation brings to any community. I wish the people behind this well...good on you!!:clap2:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest just Mal

Here is the latest from the online edition of The Northern Argus.

Looks like we will have to buy a paper to get the full story.

cheers.

There was a hum in the sky as a little two-seater single engine airplane circled what was once a farm paddock north of Clare last week.

The blue and yellow craft landed with a kiss, making history as the first to taxi on the new airstrip.

And although there was no brass band, and only two people to witness the event, it didn’t take away from the importance of the occasion.

SEE FULL STORY IN THIS WEEK'S NORTHERN ARGUS (EDITION, APRIL 20, 2011)

Bordertown businessman Mike Anderson made history as the first pilot to land on the new Clare Valley Airstrip.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest just Mal

here is the latest I have from the Website of the local paper " The Northern Argus"

New airport attracts visitors

CHELSEA ASHMEADE

04 May, 2011 10:09 AM

It’s been in operation for little more than one week but the new Clare Airport is already providing spin-offs for local businesses.

Three aircraft carrying six members of Busselton Flying Group, from Western Australia, landed in Clare last Tuesday and stayed overnight.

The group were on their way home from a national fly-in at Temora,Victoria, and decided to make an unscheduled stop at Clare when they heard about the new air strip while at Aldinga.

READ FULL STORY IN THIS WEEK’S NORTHERN ARGUS – ISSUE MAY 4, 2011.

Guest basscheffers

Does anyone have any more information about the strip and the alleged fly-in on Sunday?

And who to contact?

Guest basscheffers
basscheffers - Plane Crazy Down Under podcasts are awesome :thumb_up:045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Thanks! :)

I am trying to get involved with more, although I have the claim to fame of producing the most listened to episode of all time: the Bill Hamilton ADS-B interview, only recently surpassed in audience by the F-111 retirement episode.

Almost finished listening to their NATFLY coverage, which is fantastic! Seeing as I am probably the only one of us going to Oshkosh this year, I have a task ahead of me coming up with some equally good stuff!

Guest basscheffers

Oh, to keep this on topic: If there is an opening fly in at Clare and I am able to attend, my audio recorder will be coming with me! ;-)

Guest basscheffers

I didn't realise there we phone numbers posted earlier, so I just spoke to Adrian Smith to get the details.

There is a fly-in this Sunday. This is not the official opening, that will come later when the terminal building is finished. They are also still working on a cross strip.

People are welcome from 9am and there is a BBQ lunch.

It is a clay/sand mix all weather strip, hard as concrete. 1200x18 meters and elevation 1200'. Roughly 18/36.

There is a windsock, but probably no gable markers. (they are trying to get them in on time, but don't count on it)

Location: 8 nm north of Clare right next to the road to Spalding (R.M. Williams Road), can't miss it.

I'll be there from late morning!

Give Adrian a call if you will be there, so he knows how many snags to put on.

Does anyone have any more information about the strip and the alleged fly-in on Sunday?And who to contact?

Hi Bas

Yes my mail is that they are having a BBQ at the new Clare Airfield on Sunday May 8th and all are welcome. This group have done a mammoth job and should be supported. Well done to all involved....!

The airstrip is 14kms north of Clare and is 1300mtrs long and 18mtrs wide. The GPS coordinates that i was given are S 33` 42' 0 / E 138`35' 0 but please check for yourselves. I think the Elevation is about 1070' but once again check for yourself.

Bernie Bradock's contact details are [email protected] Phone 0429 094712 Hm 88422992.

Best Regards

Ed

Guest just Mal

Did you take your camera Bas ,I couldn't get there but can't wait to see some pictures taken on the Day.

• 3 months later...

Called and had a look at this strip today (at ground level only). Looking like a real good strip, plenty of length and nice open area around. They were busy watering, raking and rolling it this afternoon. There is no infrastructure or hangars there yet, only a lone CTLS parked nearby.