Google Earth/Google Maps

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been asked but I searched and couldn't find the answer...

Is there any way to create a flight path in Google Earth and/or Google maps that you can save as a picture?

Basically, today I flew around the boundaries of the training area and I'm looking to create something in google earth or google maps to show the boundaries (line between towns for example) which I can save and post in my blog. I was playing around with google earth and I can do 'pinpoints' on the map but can't work out how to make them join up into a path...

So yeah, basically, how do I make a 'joined up' path of places on google earth and/or google maps?

This kind of thing?

[ATTACH]9877.vB[/ATTACH]

Just choose "add path" from the toolbar and click on each point in the path.

If they join up like this one, they form a polygon and it gets shaded.

The one I have been using runs on my nubile phone and records my position every 30 seconds and sends it straight to a server on the internet. This can then be loaded into Google Earth to show your trip.

DarkPath.kmz

DarkPath.kmz

DarkPath.kmz

This kind of thing?[ATTACH]14822[/ATTACH]

Just choose "add path" from the toolbar and click on each point in the path.

If they join up like this one, they form a polygon and it gets shaded.

The one I have been using runs on my nubile phone and records my position every 30 seconds and sends it straight to a server on the internet. This can then be loaded into Google Earth to show your trip.

aha! Thanks Slarti, that's what I was hunting for :)

Darky - here's one I did a while ago of the training area - I keep it on my computer so I can still remember what it looks like, so long since I've seen it 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Thanks Graeme :) I'm sure you'll be back out there soon enough!

Main thing I learnt today for YLIL training area: If you hit a mountain, you've gone too far

You can actually go over the mountains to the north to reach Kinglake, which is one of the corners of the training area - went there once when my instructor was showing me the boundaries and landmarks in case I got lost!

Cheers

You can actually go over the mountains to the north to reach Kinglake, which is one of the corners of the training area - went there once when my instructor was showing me the boundaries and landmarks in case I got lost!Cheers

aha, yeah I know, we just went around that mountain rather than over today :)

Guest mike_perth

Hey Darky

For an even better image use http://www.nearmap.com and click on the "For My own use" its way better than Google Earth for the image quality but dosnt have the nice measuring tools etc - even lets you scroll through older images (back to 2007/8)

Mike

Hi Mike

Great stuff - some pretty recent pics, even shows the water tank I put in a month ago! I suspect they've put the thing through a sharpening algorithm though - on GE I can almost count the tiles on my roof, the PhotoMaps image looks a whole lot sharper but the resolution seems to be the same or less.

But unfortunately, outside the major cities, practically nothing - the whole YLIL airfield is hidden in a single pixel!

Worth watching for the future though, thanks ....

Guest mike_perth

Hey

Nearmap say that they use purchase higher quality images than GE I dont know how true that is but they say it somewhere on their website.

The current council I live in plus the one Im moving to use mear map to check on renovations extensions pools etc as the images are up to date enough for them to see those changes! So be warned Big Borther is watching!!!

Mike