Vertex 220 External Aerial

Bubbleboy

Hi all...just a question...I have a Vertex Standard 220 and am wanting to utilise it in an aircraft. Is there any great advantage in mounting an aerial to the airframe? Will it improve range and if so what aerial should I be looking at?

Scotty i_dunno

Hi Bill...yes I have read that and was looking more for a brand that has worked well for anyone. My aircraft being mostly wood I hope will not be as prone as what these subjects were.

Scotty

Hi Scotty, We used a Vertex 220 in a Minicab (wood & fabric) and a Light Wing (Metal & Fab) with external aereals. We fitted ground plain to both A/C. We were very impressed with the range & clarity for such a small unit. They're great value.

Frosty

Hi Scotty

I'm not knowledgable enough to write a thesis on the subject. Google "ground plain" and you'll find all the info you need. Basic is about 300mm x300mm of light metal sheet or even alfoil with aereal fitted to centre at right angles.Seen all sorts in gliders & ultra lights over the years. Most metal A/C need no additional ground plain. Makes a big difference.

Frosty