Which aircraft?

Goodaye all

just a quick question, l am training for my PPL and am currently learning in Piper.

l can save $40 a hour switching to a RAA Jabiru.

Is it a good idea?? l know l will have to go back to it later.

regards Bruce

Guest Mad Dave

The Jabiru will make you a good pilot.

It also depends on what you are planning on doing down the track, do you want to fly for fun, or do you want to follow the more GA route (controlled air space, more passengers, NVFR, IFR, etc. etc.), in that case it can be a little counter productive in my opinion. (By the time you burn up a few hours in the Jab getting used to it, then burning up a few more hours getting back up to speed in the Warriors when you go back to them - it doesn't take many to burn up your $40 an hour savings)

l have found flying does burn up a lot of money, but your a long time dead. :)

Working towards a PPL so l can fly a RV8 in the experimental catagry, planning in doing some touring in it a bit later.

On a side note l am going for my medical tomorrow, my doc says l will have no problems.

It does worry me the fact that l had both hips replaced late last year.

regards Bruce

Sloper there's nothing wrong with saving money. Why not give the Jab a try and see if you like it. If not, stay with the Piper. Either way, make sure you do the GA theory exams if you are heading towards your PPL.

By the way, which model of Piper are you talking about?

Thanks Sloper. The Warrior is OK I guess, but I believe there are better aircraft for ab initio training. Anyway, give the Jab a try and see which aircraft you prefer. Keep in mind the change in type might mean more hours while you adapt which could end up more expensive than sticking with the Warrior. The two aircraft are quite different.

Bruce

I reckon the Jab is worthwhile - it is a more difficult aircraft to fly than the Warriors, so you will end up with more stick and rudder (especially rudder!) skills. General consensus among people I've spoken to at Lilydale is the conversion to the Warriors from the Jabs is relatively painless (and conversion to the Airtourer even less so!).

Leastways, that's the path I'm following - Jabs first, then move on to the Warriors for navs.

As Mazda says, do your GA BAK rather than RAAus .....