Bob Maddox, the pulse jet kid

Guest ozzie

Now that looks like fun.... don't know about his rickady push bike though.... I'd be afraid the bearings would fly apart!

Pulse Jet.

the pulse jet has reed type valves in the airflow that prevent flow reversal. The one that I have had some experience with was called a Dyna-jet and was used for control line speed . The jet was started by pumping with a conventional manual car pump, and the ignition was from a Ford "T" coil. Once it was running you disconnected the pump and the spark. IF it was wet, the sparks went into the grass and you often got zapped by about 25,000 volts. The barrell (combustion chamber)was made from something like inconel and glowed red-hot when the engine was running. The combustion is not continuous, hence the term "pulse" jet.

Ram jets have no valves, but I think you have to get well supersonic to start them. Nev

The last time I heard one of those things, my mother throw me into an air-raid shelter. Luckily, we heard the motor shut off, and the distant explosion when it landed somewhere in north London. Not so lucky for those who didn't hear it coming.