747-200 Nose gear camera view, looking back

Ultralights

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSEogZ3upY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSEogZ3upY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Guest Andys@coffs

Ultralights, the movie says that its an Air France A380 not a 747-200 as identified. Personally I couldnt tell the difference (from that viewpoint). I was surprised that on descent the nose gear came down and it wasnt until quite some time later that the main gear came down. Is that normal and can they be controlled independantly of each other?

Andy

I guess if you are going to take a movie from the nose wheel, then the nose wheel needed to be down. My guess is not too much drama in dropping front early on descent. It was raised at the same time as the mains on climbout though. Obviously the pilot knew the camera was there. I wonder if it was really allowed to be there?

the A380 is behind the 747 as it taxies past. when the vid was made there was only 1 A380 flying. the give away that its an old 747 is the Old Pratt and Whitney JT9D engines, and the air conditioning intake ducts on the wing to fuselage fairings, and the shape of the flap track canoe fairings.

as for lowering the nose gear only, he used the electric auxiliary landing gear system to only lower the nose, the main gear was lowered as normal for the approach.

the aircraft is a 747-200 Freighter.