A Plane is born (foxtel)

Guest drizzt1978

Guest drizzt1978

Hi all, Might be old news, there is a show on Foxtel, Discovery Turbo Channel. It follows a plane being beilt in kit form. Its on Mon-Thursday this week, at 8Pm and a repeat the next morning. Go to foxtel online tv guide, it is on heaps over the next few weeks, and i have mentioned the next few days. The first episode was 8pm tonight, so you can catch the +2 channel at 10pm Its from the english gut that did a car is born. I think he is building a Europa, the show also follows some of his flying lessons...

Enjoy

Michael

Guest drizzt1978
Thanks Michael, looks fascinating. That guy is a bit of a wanker but he usually has a good show. Got it programmed to record.

Yeah might be fun to watch him mess it up!

i quite like his shows, i loved a car is born, especially the restoration of a E type Jag, and he does the work properly, like lead wiping panels instead of just using bog,

a helicopter is born is also very good!

The Europa looks like a nice plane but the undercarriage seems bizarre to me. I believe some have been done with a "proper" tricycle undercarriage. Anyone got a comment on the single centre wheel undercarriage. Does it retract?

The undercarriage is a pretty standard sort of design from gliders. The main wheel would retract, as would the outriggers on the wingtip. I had a look at the specs for the aircraft, and it really gets up and goes!

We maintain a Europa where I work. It's a nice plane, and the owner has made a really pretty job of the placarding in the cockpit.

Twenty-two thousand pounds for everything aft of the firewall seems of good price, then there's the cost of the Rotax and engine mount.

I love the shed the bloke is building in. Whose workshop is as neat and tidy as that?

Old Mna Emu

You can get the DVD from most 'EzyDVD' type stores - they're gone bust now but some stores operate privately.

I got mine for about $10.oo ....

Its titled ..

Discovery Home and Leisure

A Plane is Born ... 200 mph Europa XS kit aircraft

Distributed by 'DUKE'. www.dukevideo.com

Its not bad, I agree with BlackRod ... he is a bit of a tosser. A little bit on the pommie geeza side if you ask me.

Anyway ... you still get excited when it maidens (who doesnt!)

Phil.

Guest Crezzi
The Europa looks like a nice plane but the undercarriage seems bizarre to me. I believe some have been done with a "proper" tricycle undercarriage. Anyone got a comment on the single centre wheel undercarriage. Does it retract?

Yes, the monowheel retracts but not completely. I believe it was designed for performance but it has a reputation of being of a bit of a handful especially with inexperienced pilots. It was later redesigned to offer a tricycle undercarriage option and this version didn't turn out to that much slower after all.

There is also a glider wing option. One of the features of the design is quickly removable wings so you could swap between touring & gliding wings depending on your mission. I think there might be an LSA on the go as well.

The design has been around quite a long time and there are loads of them flying especially in the UK (where the factory is). I'm sure I've seen some here RAA registered but they might to be restricted to single seaters due to MTOW.

Hope that helps

John