Why electric flaps??

Sloper

Guest Andys@coffs

In another thread I discussed the fact that one day my electric flaps will let me down. That said, it would have to be a whole bunch of coincidental events that meant that was anything but a "so what" issue.

So, the thing I hate? I hate it that the flap switch is on the instrument panel and I have to lean forward in an awkward position to get it. I would really like it as a protected switch (ie not easy to accidentally deploy) on the main control stick. As for the click and let it drive to a predetermined detent....Nope...that degree of complexity isn't worth the benefits achieved. I just look out and drive them to a visual reference point that I have in mind. Does that equate to exactly POH defined position..probably not exactly but close enough for me to live with it.

Of course one of the benefits with Jab's is that the instrument panel can be whatever you want it to be. As such my config may be different to everyone else's and as such my problems unique and a cause of head scratching to others...BTW the unique instrument panels, that is IMO, without a doubt a benefit jabs have over some others (19 reg, not LSA/24 reg) and we need a few benefits to balance much of the unfavorable comments. Of course if jab's were as bad as some suggest then you simply have to wonder why they sell so many, and owners in general don't seem to be flocking away from them....still each to their own.

Andy

I was looking to do this with a G205 stick grip

Ray Allen Company - Stick Grips

They suggested it would have an isolation switch on panel to prevent accidental use (could replace current flap switch)

AND it would need relays to run servo - pretty complex for the benefit

I may put in flap switches on LHS side of panel rather than middle?

I'm happy to stay with the manual flaps...its just one less gizmo that will stop working when the electrics fail (fuel pump, radio,gps,electrically driven instruments, EFIS , strobes and landing light, trim, intercom and so on)

Electric flaps I've not had the pleasure (or otherwise) of using as yet - I'm learning in a Jabiru 55/LSA which has manual flaps.

Have to say tho - the thought of flying in a totally glass cockpit doesn't do it for me. There's something reassuring about all the old steam gauges... If nothing else, they're nowhere near as distracting as some of the glass displays strike me as being.

On the 1 vs 2 stages of flaps question - After trying a few landings of each, I have to say that 2 stages of flaps is much more difficult to land in the 55/LSA.

How does LSA certification work? ie if they change say a nose wheel assembly setup, or flap operation method, does it have to be recertified or can the maker just approve it and keep going?

I'm not particularly sure about this, but in my thoughts, changing something on the aircraft "it ain't so simple".

You could blame the reg's or the certification mob (CASA no doubt 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif ) Just another of Aussies great additions!

To change one little thing you have to re-test every single thing, test fly, re-write all the reg's bla bla bla, it is an aircraft designers night mare, and then if something needs changing again with the changed item, off you go again.

It takes a ridiculous amount of time/money to certify an already certified design, imagine if you change the design. Don't quote me, but I think it was something around the million dollar mark to get the initial certification.

Trust me, if it was a simple thing to do, Rod would change it, after all he has been a designer most of his life.

Like some of us, I can see some obvious things in the Jab's that could do with attention, but when you understand what is involved in designing and certifying stuff, 'life wasn't meant to be easy'!

Just my thoughts.