The rot has set in!

Guest eland2705

Guest eland2705

That's it, I have crossed over to the dark side!

On Friday arvo I took myself off to Coldstream (YCEN) and did an hour in the Royal Victorian Aero Club's Tecnam P92 Echo 24-7312.

If I had of gone to YBCC to glide, I would have sat on the ground for the day looking at the cloud. Instead I flew for an hour, got a couple of circuits, two (terrible, I forgot that I had an undercarriage dangling down, rather than one small wheel in the glider) landings and loved every minute.

Unfortunately I can't do both, financialy, so I am left with a quandry as which one to pursue.

Regards

getting in the Sky.

The problem you speak of seems to be a common complaint with Gliding. Both forms of aviation are fine and your gliding experience will not be a hindrance. Gliding in it's most advanced forms is a challenge that most powered flying does not provide. Having a noisy engine up the front gives you independence. Do both. Nev

Gliding is very rewarding in the right conditions, but it's also by far the most time demanding given the reliance on teamwork to get things done. Everytime I try and return to it, I get too frustrated with how long it takes just to get into the air. Though I plan on taking a week of next month to get some more soaring flights in.

Powered flight wins "bang for time" everytime.

Plus it's far easier to take up passenger's, no need to stuff them around with waiting for hours.

I have done both and my thought is that gliding is very good if you have few other commitments, you can spend all day at the club, helping others and do very little flying yourself, but there is great camerardie. You can go to a power flying club and fly your bookeed time and be away doing something else, that is if the instructor is on time and the plane OK. My gliding was done mainly when I was working away from home and it helped to fill in the weekends very nicely.

Guest eland2705

Nev,

Would love to do both, but SWMBO keeps spending what little I do earn on things like food, gas, water and electricity bills and clothes (to mention a few thing)! Personally I don't understand that philosophy but as she is the "better half" I don't get a vote.

Speaking from experience (engine on, naturally): Yes :)

I went from gliding to RAA for the exact reasons you mentioned. Another positive for RAA: Once you have your license (20 hours, more with the endorsements), you're responsible for your own operations. Make a mistake and it's your fault - but you have control over your own destiny.

With the GFA, your club is responsible for, and controls you, until you earn a level 2 Independant Operator endorsement (200 gliding hours!).

Guest rocketdriver
RA-Aus has the endorsement. I am thinking of going for it 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gifNeed to be Solo in a glider apparently.

Not sure how it works in RA, but for my glider towing permit I was taught "in command. under supervision" by the gliding club's tug master. Not being an instructor, he could supervise me about towing, but not instruct me ... in theory anyway. Actually I think he had to get an authority through the CAA in order to do this, but I'm not sure ...

Actually Max was a very high time ex commercial pilot, a very senior captain in his time at TAA I believe ..... and a very smart cookie indeed when it came to flying matters .....

RD