all good except :'(

hey all just thought i would ask for some advice

i have my school (sporting aviation academy (wildcatchem) iv got the text books ect sorted and reading them, and im saving the money but my parents refuse to even help me get there so i have to wait till next may to get my p' plates ok so what can i do between now and then to give me a head start other than study the text books any ideas?

cheers

CK

Yeah that sucks man but I feel your pain. I gave up myself, got a job as an accountant, then paid for it all myself.

My suggestion is to get to know people at the local airfield. Offer to help out around the place and spend some time around aircraft. Awesome if you can get some training of time fixing some. All of course without getting in the way.

Might even find yourself on some backseat flights getting to see what happens on nav's etc. I did this a few times and loved it each time.

Country Kid I seem to recall you were in the air cadets, could one of the older guys or leaders pick you up on the way to the airport? That seems to be what happens quite a bit with the youth groups I've been associated with.

Otherwise, do get stuck into the theory. Just be careful about when you do the exams though if you plan to do a 150 hour syllabus because if you get ahead with the exams you have to do the 200 hour syllabus instead.

ha ha well unfortunatly i do cadets a peerce RAAF and live in the wheat belt (2.5 hour drive) but cunderdine airfeild is on the back of my school :dog: i think iv found the solution talking to the director at my school he is offering interested students GA theory and occasional practical lessons know its not RA but its experience and most of the theory is the same? :thumb_up:

cheers all

CK

ha ha well unfortunatly i do cadets a peerce RAAF and live in the wheat belt (2.5 hour drive) but cunderdine airfeild is on the back of my school :dog: i think iv found the solution talking to the director at my school he is offering interested students GA theory and occasional practical lessons know its not RA but its experience and most of the theory is the same? :thumb_up:cheers all

CK

Don't know why I didn't think of this before ck but I have a contact in the Cunderdin Gliding Club if that would be any use to you.

Pud

Got this of the website ck,

The contact here is not the person I know though.

Want to learn Gliding?

Gliding Club of Western Australia is currently taking applications for their up coming 2010 winter ab - initio course. A five day course set over two weekends (3 days and 2 days).

You will learn the basics of gliding with one of the club experienced instructors in a two seater glider!!

The most enjoyable and affordable way to learn to fly is with Gliding Club of Western Australia

Call Marek on 041717 6979 for more information.

Pud

ha ha iv being down to the gliding club a few times but money is an issue i like gliding its great fun but it costs money if you have a contact its normaly free i dont :( ha ha but its a good surgestion pud ha ha i fly for fun mazda GA is simply to expensive at the moment i might consider it later on tho

CK:

Parents rarely see the same value in pursuits as their childern - believe me, nothing's changed, and it will remain so. Most mothers are horrified if their golden haired son decides to try anything 'extreme' - and flying is considered extreme by most people. If you understand their concerns, and explain to them that flying is probably safer than driving in the WA country - then maybe there's a midway 'meeting point'?

Think a bit laterally about your situation. Either, you get over to Wylie, or the J-160 comes over to Wongan and you do your training there. Wongan isn't so far from Wylie, and the cost of ferry time, spread over 2-3 hrs training cost, might be less costly than you think. There might also be other students in Wongan, and you could share the ferry costs with them

Or, you ask your flying school if they have any other students from Wongan who might be able to give you a lift over. Or, you ask if other students coming accross to Wylie from places like Moora could give you a lift over & back.

Sometimes, it's not the worst thing for eager young students to do their theory ahead of the practical. That ensures that you don't slack off on the theory, in favour of flying - and end up with a big delay before your PC test.....all because you hadn't sat the theory.

In the end though - what you organise yourself, and pay for yourself - will always be the most important achievement you can have.

happy days,

ha ha iv never thought of that puteroo with any luck i might be able to get me parents to pay the ferrying fee? after all it would be worht it for two or three hours of flying within a day? well having the text books and simply skimming over them when your bord definetly helps with the basic knoledge that would be needed. i will look into the cost of having glen come to wongan and see if it s worht it. but i thyink it would be its only one hour by road thanks for the advice puteroo:score 010:

cheers CK

Once you figure out how you will get there! In the mean time you could figure out how to make the money you do have, earn more for you than the misserable amount of interest the banks are willing to give.

It can be done!

Cheers Guy

• 3 weeks later...

:keen:i spoke to glenn at sporting aviation academy today, he agreed to pick me up from cunderdine airfeild, in return i need to keep up-to-date with my studies (aviation studies that is) and wash one or 2 planes Oooooo hard work 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif so i should have my first sortie of leesons within six months :thumb_up::thumb_up: and oh boy am i STOKED 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif:thumb_up::thumb_up::thumb_up::rotary::rotary:

And stoked you should be ck. All the best with it when the time comes. I'll bet the next 6 months are gonna drag:laugh: I suggest you spend the time on the theory side of it to give yourself a kick start. Exciting huh?

Pud

• 2 months later...
Guest davidh10

CK; Great that you have found a way to get things happening.

With regard to study, some suggestions:-

• You can download the Operations and Technical Manuals from RAAus Web Site. This gives you a lot of info that you will need to understand as well as the syllabus for each part of the training and endorsements.

• The Theory by John Brandon on the RAAus web site is an excellent reference.

• There's lots of aviation theory info on the Internet to be able to answer questions or to research topics. Just use the usual caution with Internet information in that while well intentioned, some may be inaccurate, so you need to multi-source facts to be sure they are correct.

• Check out www.bom.gov.au/aviation for weather info.

• Check out Airservices Australia to be able to read / download AIP info, of which ERSA is a part.

• You can download the VFR Guide from http://www.casa.gov.au, which is a superset of the info you need to know as a recreational pilot, but it doesn't hurt to be aware of the rest.

I made use of JBs theory and Internet research including the above sites, making my own notes along the way. For me this was a good route and I didn't actually use any text books at all. I'm not suggesting that you ignore text books however. Since you have ordered them, they are another source of information and a lasting reference.

Hanging around the flying school, even just watching and listening, you will learn quite a bit too. There's always the chance that someone will offer you a chance to fly as passenger too (someone else also mentioned this point earlier in the thread). That also expands your knowledge and experience.

Of course, when in doubt, ask your instructor.

Best wishes with your journey.

well im more than happy to wash planes i love being around them so i have no issues with washing em i just cant wait to get into it, yeh im pritty keen to get onto tail dragges quick but i also want to be compitent on both thanks for the info david im going to get the teext books very soon :D its awsome to finaly have some way forward

FYI shaun i will gladly wash the drifter aswell :D

Once you fly a taildragger, you wont want a nose wheel again. Thats for certain. And flying tail draggers makes you a better nose wheel pilot. Of course, some will disagree with me. Both have merits, but I'm biased, Ive been flying taildraggers for the last 4 years since I got my licence and kinda since I was 12 when I first learnt in our old Skyfox.