Nose gear donut failures

old man emu

Guest Andys@coffs

Yes

I have a plastic bag on my desk with a new red one in it. The yellow one, which Im told was never fitted to the J230 (except in my case??) is crumbling to pieces and I only found it when I tore off the front of my front spat due to the reduced travel. This old style spat covered the yellow suspension item and as such I didnt pick it up on the walk arounds.

The new spat obviously has it showing....coincidence...hmmmm

So there I was thinking I had a problem that was unique and only due to a wrong fitment.

HAs anyone else with a J200/230/400/430 got a yellow suspension on the nose wheel, if so let me know and also have a good look at it to ensure you dont get into trouble... I could see a situation where a prop strike could occur and or a departure to left or right unexpectedly occurs on landing or take off..

The yellow one that is failing is has a larger diameter now (and pressumably before failure) than the red one. cost was around $90 from memory for the new one.

Im feeling the need to raise a defect report with RAA

Andy

Andy,

You raise that report. I think the yellow donuts might have been used in early aircraft, and have succombed to UV degradation.

You are correct. If the donuts collapse, you'll suffer a prop strike. The one I was told about suffered the failure during taxi-ing after having been pre-flighted by the owner who is a GA instructor.

Old Man Emu

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Andys@coffs

OME

I dont think it is UV degradation, rather I believe it is AVGAS induced. On mine the nosewheel spat was one of the originals which had coverage all the way up the noseleg including the suspension device so no direct UV, also the Aircraft is in a lock up hangar with no windows so no UV in there either.

However one time I opened up the hangar to notice that there was a pool of avgas around the nosewheel, needejet didnt seat correctly due some sort of crud and the net result was a very slow leakdown the noseleg. At the time I cleaned it all up and didnt think on it too much more after I cleared the jet and the problem stopped.

I have submitted a defect report, however thought I'd also post the photos here so others can be aware and check. If, as I suspect its avgas related the problem is not one model has an issue, rather those that used the yellow suspension are at risk... take the time to have a quick look.... it may save you a prop and a very expensive engine overhaul.

[ATTACH]10600.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10601.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10602.vB[/ATTACH]

12168522_email1.thumb.jpg.c977032a5c49e9195d964fa1ec83aa2c.jpg

839302838_email2.thumb.jpg.41ff792ce182adb80524fff12f043143.jpg

833717055_email3.thumb.jpg.757d4cd0d84cf4681c48fff5b25aa983.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had yellow ones in my LSA but kept breaking the nosewheel spat. Changed to red and much stiffer, no problems.

As for wear, the kellow one, as far as I'm aware, had done 1400-odd hours and was undamaged.

Jim