J170 - first impressions

Chukcha

Guest Andys@coffs
Thanks, David. I'll try it next time. I personally think that my instructor's recommendations of 60 knots approach speed come from the 'better safe than sorry' principal. We have very long runways at YGAW, and he would rather have me float a little than stall it on the approach :) .Thanks everyone for your input, it was interesting to hear other pilot's opinions.

Andrei.

And thats fine at Gawler, where until the recent runway consuming freeway was installed a J160 could take of and land twice in the length of 05/23. For other airports that have runways significantly shorter than that (ie normal!), fast wont work, use the numbers in the POH. At some stage I suggest that you practise shorter field landings as there have been a number of folk from Gawler that have come to grief when landing into shorter strips. Jabiru's dont look so good upside down, Ask Daryl or Glen (As owner who has attended a few crosshire upside downs...).

Andy

For other airports that have runways significantly shorter than that (ie normal!), fast wont work, use the numbers in the POH.

That was my point exactly. The J170 is supposed to have better short field performance than the J160, but at high approach speed it goes out the window.

One thing I do like about the J170 is the higher MTOW and load capacity. I can take up a couple of passenger that seemed to heavy for the J160.

Most of my time is on the 170 and the a/c i fly get's between 90-95knots indicated cruise at 2850-2900rpm. I find it more challenging than the 230 to land but i'm glad i learnt on the 170 as it really get's you working on x-wind landings, and you really need to keep a little extra speed on to keep aileron authority there under those conditions. I found the 170 really coordinates your feet with your hands.

The decision i had when ordering a jab was between the 170,160 and 120. A 230 would have been nice but the minister for war and finance didn't agree. The 170 has a great payload with the excellent range from the 135l wet wings, the 160 a great cruise speed of around the 95-103 knots and the 120 with reports of 105k on the standard prop or 108k from the sensenich prop.

After conducting extensive testing and calculating that i have a 3.4hr bladder, and hearing about how well the 120 flies with it's excellent stability and slippery airframe (albeit with a smaller cab size and reduced range with 65l tank) and the great price, I went with the 120.

But, you still have only 80hp whether you are in a J120, J160 or J170 and you'll have less fuel on board with a heavier "cargo" 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif.

I know, but most of my flight only require up to a couple of hours endurance.

As I've written above, it is always a compromise, a trade-off - you gain something, but you lose something instead.

Yesterday I had to do my BFR. did it in the J160 - it was so nice to fly after the J170...

You big chicken 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif,You should always do your BFR in the most difficult aircraft, it hones your skills and gives you the opportunity of some instructor time.

Well, maybe I am :) .

I wanted to do it in the J170, but the only one we have was booked out for three Saturdays ahead, and Saturday morning is the only time when I can do it. Only the J160 was available, and I definitely didn't want to wait another three weeks.

Guest Andys@coffs
.....I can take up a couple of passenger that seemed to heavy for the J160.

Hmmm, I have to ask, where do you put the next passenger after the first? and under what licensing regeme?

Of course sometimes the best approach is to "say nothing!"

Andy

Hmmm, I have to ask, where do you put the next passenger after the first?

Andy,

Yes, I've written "a couple of passengers", but I actually meant one at a time :) . There are a couple of guys who would love to go up in the Jabiru, but they are a bit too heavy, and taking them up, even if one at a time 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif , would mean really pushing the MTOW. Considering that my own weight is around 95 kilos, I have to be carefull when I fly with a passenger.

Andrei

• 1 month later...
As per POH:J160 48 KIAS at MTOW (544 kg) Landing Config (full flaps)

J170 40 KIAS at MTOW (600 kg) Landing Config (full flaps)

This is not quite true: Late versions of the J160C and all J160D are MTOW 600kgs. Same with late J120s.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a wire-brace drifter with new blue head 23 hours, new C Typer Gearbox and 3 blade bolly, however not willing to sell just yet, the wife reckons that I should keep it for a little while especially after getting this new gear. I will advertise hear when I sell.