Correct radio call for circuit start approval

Hi All,

Just after a quick clarification on the appropriate call for a location which requires start approval required for circuit operations........

Tried searching but couldn't seem to find any reference for it.

Thanks,

J

Guest mike_perth

I was taught tower frequency though the ground frequency makes more sense if you think about it!

Ill let the more knowledgable out there provide a more definate answer

Thanks all,

I reviewed the guides but unfortunately since this has only come in since the transition from GAAP to class D a little later this year, the guides are a little dated and only state that clearance may be required. I guess ground would make sense...... and like stated above if that's the wrong freq. they will no doubt let me know!

J

at bankstown the request is made on ground freq, usually followed by an instruction to report ready in run up bay on ground. who then will tell you taxi to holding point and contact tower, or delay depending on traffic.

Surface movements / clearance etc.

You can expedite the process by giving a bit of suggestion/ encouragement sometimes, like (approaching the holding point) "ABC, ready for immediate." This tells the tower that you are not going to hold up things, and you may get in ahead of another aircraft on approach. Help THEM to help YOU. Nev..

Correct call.

I am well aware what the "Correct" call is. The reason that air traffic controllers don't stick their necks out, is that "some" pilots will line-up SLOWLY and sit for what seems like an eternity on the runway before opening the taps. My mention of "Immediate" informs the tower that I am aware of the need to not waste time. I would even say "rolling start acceptable". in some circumstances. the tower only has to say "negative, hold position". This has rarely been done (if ever) as I would not suggest it if there was an aircraft too close on final . Nev