xt-912 outback

Guest kimbo

I haven't flown it yet but I've have an Xt912 so, for what its worth, the 912 will give you better climb, better endurance but isn't going to be significantly faster. The biggest advantage is probably longevity as the 912 overhaul is not until 1500 hours operation. You would probbaly have worn out two 582 in that time. Obviously the 912 cost more.

Choice depends on what you plan to do with it really. If you going to do a lot of hours and plan on keeping it or if you got a really big farm and need the endurance the 912 is probably worth it.

Just my 2c - try & arrange a flight in one (or both) before you decide.

Cheers

John

Kimbo,

Check out all 912's and 912S's - Airborne, Pegasus, DTA etc. We migrated from an Airborne Edge to a DTA 912S. Yep they cost heaps more, however, you get what you pay for and the four stroke derivatives offer better reliability, economy and longevity that results in a comparative life-cycle cost.

So far our 912S is 127 hours old, it climbs like a demon, carry's a reasonable payload and is excellent for expedition triking. It is presently returning an economy of 9 litres per hour over its life and has had minimal maintenance requirements in comparison to my 582 two stroke.

We chose ours for rugged undercarraige and capability. In DTA France I have seen farmers using the Voyageur 912S for crop spraying activities!

For our use, we will not easily go back to two strokes.

Picture attached for envy...

Regards

497078717_AthertonDaybreak.JPG.ed185a50b014198773af0439891e9e4e.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GawlerMicro
Thanks looks like a 912 should be a tax deductable too regards kimbo

Hi Kimbo,

I have had a 912 Outback Cruze in my school now for nearly a month, and they were born through demand from the schools, because of the success of the previous X series 582 Outback. I have been teaching now for about 15 years, and I am extremely in love with this machine. With the bullet proof 912, gas suspension, Tundra Tyres, and Cruze wing, it gives the pilot enormous confidence and scope to go anywhere, and land anywhere. The cruze wing is very easy and extremely forgiving, therefore perfect for stock and crop gazing. Just try it, you'll be impressed.

Regards, Rob...........

Two strokes

Sir, If you have a large hangar door the 582 performs well as a door stop..I have flown most engines in trikes. As previous threads will tell you the 912 has 1500 hrs TBO, the 582 will require crank replacement after 350-400 hrs. The fuel consumption is probably double, sure they do have nice performance. But if you live at low altitude fly a lot on your own; other less expensive options exist with 4 strokes as well..Take a look at the HKS 700e (60 hp), Verner boxer twin (80 hp) and Verner radials. Maybe the Jabiru is an option also..

For info my first 582 popped at 190 hrs and the second one at 380 hrs, that was enough for me. I couldnt justify the 912 as we use the trike as a test bed for avionics so it gets a lot of short trips. Fuel consumption and reliability was the main choice. I installed the HKS 700 e it gives me solo 900 fpm and dual 600fpm with fuel burn solo 6 litres an hour dual 9,5 ltrs maximum. At 200 hrs now just changed the plugs, starts first time, no problems at all. BUT it has oil in it !!

The 503 incidentally is not a bad option, they seem to last longer..still two stroke. Here in South Africa we have lost a few people with 2 strokes, the tendency in Johannesburg is to use the 582 as its 6,000 feet, two strokes definitely lose less power with altitude.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers Paul

I've only flown the HKS in a Pegasus Quantum but have to say the performance difference dual (compared to 582) was more than I expected from the bhp figures.

The Jabiru is interesting idea - I know of 1 trike manufacturer who spent a long time trying to get it to work properly & never suceeded. Eventually it was abandoned in favour of 912. Somebody know of any trike with the Jab as an option ?

Cheers

John

Cheers

John

Guest Andys@coffs
Kimbo,Check out all 912's and 912S's - Airborne, Pegasus, DTA etc. We migrated from an Airborne Edge to a DTA 912S. Yep they cost heaps more, however, you get what you pay for and .....

Hi Perry

Having looked at and flown the 912 based Airborne trikes, and owning a 582 based Airborne with Streak I'm interested in the statement "you get what you pay for" in your email above. The inference, or at least how I read that is that you get much more or better with the DTA trike over the Airborne.

Can you provide me with any detail as to what more or better you get with the DTA? BTW I'm not involved with selling Airborne, indeed I'm probably leaving trikes for 3 axis shortly but have to admit that I don't really see any deficits in the current Airborne or areas that could be significantly improved upon. For that matter the older 582 based system, other than engine reliability when compared to a 912 isn't that far behind IMHO. Therefore in my mind minor variances would only deserve minor cost differences

That said Ive never even set eyes on a DTA and want to understand what I'm missing that would have me rushing to spend "heaps" more than I already have.

So in a nutshell other than the cost, and the obvious worse damage to the Aust balance of trade what differentiates a current DTA from a current Airborne?

Regards

Andy

Andy,

...Yep they cost heaps more... - This statement relates to the difference between a two stroke and four stroke machine not type.

On the subject of comparison between different types, We were looking for a rugged cross country trike for our expedition and adventure purposes. Don't get me wrong, our little Airborne served us well through our abinitio stages, though we had to comprehensively replaced the undercarraige after 300hrs due to stress fatigue on the trailing links and forward undercarraige structure (we perform pretty thorough checks on ours - check yours out). Our landing areas up here are full of nasty surprises and we mostly land on dirt with rocks around making continual punishment with rough terrein pretty hard on the basic structure.

We looked all over the world for a trike that would carry both my wife and my weight as well as basic camping gear as well as contend with pretty high density altitude at the best of times. We were also looking for an alternative seating position for long distance - the cradle position was giving both of us a hard time and being confined tightly packed together in the Airborne pod was taking its toll.

My passenger in the Airborne was getting tired of having to pop her head out from the side to avoid the main mast that restricts seating.

We had also become completely fed up with continual prop strikes and having to spend hours filling and repairing leading edges - both in Brolga and Bolly props...

We discounted both the Airborne and Pegasus Quik on the basis of undercarraige capability, limited engine options and available space to carry both of us and gear.

We discounted the Solowings Aquila on the basis at the time that four strokes were not part of their standard line-up. However, with exchange rates with South Africa and their rugged build they are worth another look.

We discounted the Aerotrike Cobra on the basis that there was too little info on these machines and they were quite pricey. These are however quite rugged machines.

We settled on the DTA as it best matched our need:

- Ability to carry any specified fourstroke including the Rotax 912S powerplant

- Wide 6" wheeled undercarraige with elevated prop arc - 130 hrs down and few strikes.

- Really awesome foot pedals meaning greater comfort

- Mylar wing with wide performance envelope and forgiving manners - I find punching through turbulence and thermal much less of an agony

- Lightweight stainless frame

- Pilot and passenger with decent separation in seating - added bonus of no front strut really aids photography. Main mast does not restrict seating of passenger.

- Heaps of space as well as integral panniers that you can get lost in

- Three wheel braking making tight landing a dream for killing speed

- A climb rate of 1400 ft/min at MTOW (placarded 475kg)

- Really good quality build and excellent backup from factory

- Solid composite 3 bladed prop - Duc Helice. I was surpised to find that these guys in France manufacture their props from laminated carbon fibre and do not fill with styrofome therby making them much tougher and less prone to cracking.

Purchasing trike is more a personal choice and also a function of your own needs. In a different context I am sure that a Pegasus or Airborne may have been an option.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

DTA

I am inclined to agree with Perry, its what you use the aerie for determines the choice. I would agree that the DTA is possibly the toughest piece of kit made, serious brakes aon all wheels (disc) I havent flown one but the closest I have seen is the Aviate Raptor made in Jhb. they produce something similar for the defence force here and its not unlike a flying fork lift truck. Especially with the military colours. As Perry suggests the Solo Wings Aquilla is also seriously tough, several have done cross continent dashes and the cart is designed for Africa. They are available now with the 912s and are sold for game counts, Jackal shooting and so on in Namibia and Northern Cape. This would be similar terrain to you. I dont think the UK products would last ten minutes in the bush to be honest. I am not at all versed in Airborne products and cannot comment.

Cheers Paul aka Zulu1

Its true that UK trikes are optimised for the sort of flying they do there - long distance and fast rather than than flying round farmers fields shooting or counting things.

But I've got to disagree about them not lasting "10 minutes in the bush". I flew my Mainair Blade for more than 100 hours round 7 Southern Africa countries and I had previously circumnavigated Australia in the same plane. It was incredibly reliable & tough.

John

• 1 month later...

Airborne now have the XT Outbacks on their website. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has flown one though I don't imagine they would be much different from flying the existing faired XT models.

Have also heard that Airborne may be developing the Wizard wing to be used on the XT bases by using the same wing frame as the Cruze & Streak-III. Yes I know the nose angle is different so they must be using different length cross tubes. I did see an XT Outback with a Wizard wing on it when I visited the Airborne factory last month.

I wonder if they will eventually do the same for the Streak-IIB so they can have the full range of wings available for the X and XT models.

I'm happy with my plain 'old' 503 Redback... As basic as they come, but still fun flying. Has only 58 hours TT, but faultless so far..

Also, it seems that Redbacks do not depreciate much - with a low entry new price, and the reputation of the 503. (Electric start would be nice though....)

• 1 month later...

The XT 912 Outback is a beauty...

I've done all my training on it and now that I have my unrestricted certificate my instructor kindly allows me to fly it whilst I sort out my ownership options.

When taking off solo you have to watch it as it climbs like a rocket !

I flew an 582 Outback with a Wizard wing and it seemed easier to fly (I'm talking circuit work here) than the 912 with the Cruze wing but now that I a have a few more hours experience I can control the beast.

Fuel consumption is far less on the four stroke engine.

If money was not an issue or if I could somehow use it as part of a business, then the XT 912 Outback would be the obvious choice.

Who knows, if I can get a syndicate of two or three people together, then it will be a 912. If I have to go on my own I'll choose a 582 Outback S with a Streak wing.

Arnaud (having lots of fun)