How about a WESTERN Fly-in?

With all the euphoria about Temora and now Monto, what about our Western membership (SA, NT, WA)? Could a RAAus have a fly-in somewhere west? As Basscheffers points out in the thread on RAA membership at 11 Jan 2010 - SA has the best ratio of pilots per population, followed by NT. I remember at one Natfly hearing the Board saying that WA was the fastest growing sector just after the magazine went on newstands.

So where would it be held? Any suggestions? Any support for it?

Sue

Guest basscheffers

Sorry, missed this thread before. I'd be a great supporter for it! More than happy to spend a lot of time on organising it as well.

Not sure if combining SA and WA is feasible; Perth and Adelaide are *very* far apart. (over 1200nm) Even meeting halfway would likely severely limit attendance.

That said, being Adelaide based, I'd like the fly-in to be a nice trip for me too, so I would rule out any of the fields near Adelaide. If only for political reasons of local clubs acting like beachy little girls in "owning" it. It would best be a "neutral" place. (i.e.: a council or private strip with no club seriously attached.)

Going west from Adelaide:

- Streaky Bay: great area (I hear) but quite far out of town

- Ceduna: walking distance of town, but ASIC terretory

- Wudinna: close to town, no ASIC, all weather council strip, perfect?

Just some thoughts. Who's next?

Arkaroola??

Very welcoming to all flyers. All fuels available. No town and airstrip a long way from the resort, but the resort usually offers great transport service. Some accommodation as little as $15 a bed or campground facilities. Good food, but bar prices high (they have to make it somehow).... Absolutely the most spectacular mountain scenery, with real desert and salt lakes all round - great 'adventure' country. Celestial observatory.

I'd really try to make it all the way from Queensland for that destination....

It's great to hear this talk of regional Fly-Ins. I think it might be a winner! A chance to meet everyone in a region, so worth a long flight. A lot more 'grass roots' fun and not so commercial as NatFly is becoming.....

JG

ps- Your comments on clubs thinking they own airstrips is so sadly true....

Guest basscheffers

On the southern end of the Flinders Ranges, Rawnsley Park also has an airstrip. Adelaide Uni gliding club has a weekend there every year, so I would say they welcome groups there too.

Walking distance of some very affordable (as well as luxury) cabins and campsite. (not to mention an awesome gourmet restaurant)

They have MOGAS bowsers, but not sure which grade. Easy to get drums of AVGAS there too; the refueler at Parafield makes regular drops to stations up that way and I also have access to a friend's ute that's specifically equipped for this purpose.

How many people and planes tend to show up at other big fly ins? Would would be a reasonable number to aim for for a first Sou-RA-Aus. (pronounced "Sours" - no wait, that doesn't sound right.)