Suction cups

sseeker

Evening everyone,

Yes I've searched the forum and I've come across a thread about suction cups (too old to make a post though) however it didn't really give me a straight answer. I'm looking at purchasing a GoPro HD camera to film my first solo and I don't really want to have it hanging off my headset so I gave suction cups a thought. Now as you get higher I take it they'll fall off the window? I've seen someone make a video with a camera mounted on the tail of their Jabiru with a suction cup and it worked fine. The elevation of Bindoon is 920' so circuits are at 1900' AMSL (but because I'm so skilled I'll fly it at 1920' AMSL 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif) will a suction cup be effected at that height?

Also I'm going to be in a J160C - any possible camera mounting ideas for the GoPro?

Cheers,

Andrew

Suction Cup/altitude effects.

You have 14.7 psi at sea level, or 1013 mb. Each 30 ft you ascend you lose 1 mb.

5,000ft=177 mb change. You still have 83% of the original pressure to hold the cup on at that height. Much less of a problem at 2,000". Nev..

Guest Howard Hughes

Enjoy the flying, you don't need something else to worry about on your first solo! That way you will have less chance of ending up on Youtube, or God forbid, Funniest Home Videos...;)

Ugh, this _really_ is a terrible idea.

The GoPro is a great toy, and I really can't see it coming off. However, depending on where you put it, you can significantly alter the handling of the aircraft. I've had a Tecnam become unstable in yaw and feel very 'wrong' to fly - I couldn't wait to abort my flight and land.

I'd had a hundred or so hours in that plane at the time, and was very relieved to be on the ground. I'd hate to have had that experience on my first solo - the plane will handle differently enough as it without the weight of the instructor!

Please do yourself a favour, and do not do this. If you HAVE to use a camera then mount it inside the aircraft. Better yet get someone to film your landing from the ground.

Before attaching the gopro, I'd either get more solo experience, or have an instructor or other pilot beside you. And even then attach it on a wing, not on the tail.

Congrats on approaching solo - be sure to let us know how it goes!

No the reason I used the tail suction cup idea is because that's the only place I've actually seen one mounted (and discussed) and no I definitely don't plan on mounting it on the tail on my frist solo or even after it, sorry if I was unclear.

If you take a look on youtube I've seen students take a camera up with them on their first solo and HOLD it, that my friend is stupid... I've taken a camera up with me before with an instructor and just left it on the dash, he was very clear... "Do NOT grab the camera if it falls off, just leave it."

Thanks Nev for an actual answer to my question. But I think you all might have a point, I'll just leave it for a little while.

I have mounted my gopro on the tail of a jabiru a few times, but you notice the camera is only mounted on the far back edge of the lower strake, clear of the elevator, and no where near the rudder, turbulence from the camera does not pass over any aircraft surface, and its tethered to the tie down point, so if it ever does come loose, it will not fall and hit anyone thats earthbound. and yes, i even weighed it and checked weight and balance before putting it there.

the strength of the suction cup is dependent on the surface condition, so make sure its very clean, no oil, dirt or dust, and also, no cracks in the paint either. fortunatly the suction cup gopro use has a vacuum chamber, albeit small and also lever with over centre lock to create the vacuum