Restricted Airspace Entry?

Guest The Bushman

to,o

I see that you are the photo material manager But on the site in the last couple of day there was a photo of a new member as his id type photo and it shows a young chap laying over the bonnet of a car holding a rifle I though this was a aviation,Cars, Motor Bikes,Toys site ?????.

Now before you all jump up and down I am also a Rifle shooter and in doing so represent my state in rifle shooting, But I don,t show it on this site ??

The Bushman

Guest Crezzi

If a VFR lane is in active restricted or controlled airspace then its not legal for an RA-Aus aircraft to use it. VFR lane is just a route not an airspace classification & theres no exemption in CAO 95.10/32/55 for them

John

Now before you all jump up and down I am also a Rifle shooter and in doing so represent my state in rifle shooting, But I don,t show it on this site ??

I'm not sure what this has to do with RAA and airspace, but... so what if his avatar is him firing a rifle? I have an aviation photo on several non-aviation related forums as my avatar and no-one cares.

I don't think being a licensed, law-abiding shooter is anything to be ashamed of.

Tomo, I see that you are the photo material manager But on the site in the last couple of day there was a photo of a new member as his id type photo and it shows a young chap laying over the bonnet of a car holding a rifle I though this was a aviation,Cars, Motor Bikes,Toys site ?????.

The Bushman

Heyya Bushy, yep I'm the manager for the photo gallery....

For your Avatar (profile pic) It doesn't matter what you do, if you want an aircraft, self portrait or whatever, you can, it is your little flare if you like. An Avatar is a movable icon representing a person in cyberspace or virtual reality graphics.

Hope that helps,

Dave,

The inland VFR access lane at Williamtown is a Danger area (2 in fact) i.e. OCTA and not restricted air space.

The coastal VFR route is through restricted air space and Williamtown CTA. No go zones for an RAA cert holder unless deactivated.

Details of procedures for transiting the lane(s) are in the ERSA entry for the aerodrome.

(but you knew that didnya.;))

Cheers!

Guest Crezzi

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post David.

There is no prohibition on RAAus using VFR lanes per se but they don't provide any special rights to transit restricted or controlled airspace where RAAus wouldn't be legal.

As Mr Locks kindly pointed out the "inland route" doesn't cross either restricted or controlled airspace & hence is available to RA-Aus aircraft.

Cheers

John

Guest check-in

Fortunately a lot of Restricted airspace is not active weekends or after usual business hours because the ADF like their long breakfasts and weekend golf. Some of the R airspace - e.g. around Amberley - is only active Monday to Thursday and when you read the fine print on the charts and in ERSA, by playing a bit with altitude it is even possible to transit above or below most times. If you don't have the NOTAM, just ask ATC if it's active or not. They are always happy to oblige. When not active, go for it.

Someone in an earlier thread said that there is no Prohibited airspace in Australia. Think Pine Gap, think Lucas Heights. Don't go there....!

Guest airsick
Someone in an earlier thread said that there is no Prohibited airspace in Australia. Think Pine Gap, think Lucas Heights. Don't go there....!

It was me check-in!There is no Prohibited airspace in Australia.

See? I said it again!!

You're both wrong, check the ERSA. It concerns me greatly the number of people that don't know how to find this stuff. RAA and GA alike, we should all be familiar with the AIPs and other associated rules and regs. No matter how much they drive us nuts...

Guest check-in

OK, OK maybe Pine Gap and Lucas Heights are no longer P airspace (I don't have the ERSA with me, but DO know how use it and there was a time in history when they were definitely Prohibited). But if airspace is Restricted 24/7 and even the great Qantas can't fly in it, treat it as P and you will stay out of trouble. When I was flying airlines, attached to every ATC clearance into/out of Alice was an admonition to avoid Pine Gap, as if we didn't know the repurcussions if we went too close. One old mate in the charter business did get too close and spent 12 hours in custody with the Feds for his efforts.

http://www.airservices.gov.au/publications/current/dah/14-PRD.pdf

PROHIBITED AREAS

================

YMMM/P229 PINE GAP

JOINT DEFENCE FACILITY

LATERAL LIMITS: A circle of 2.50NM radius centred on

23 48 21S 133 44 10E

VERTICAL LIMITS: SFC − FL180

HOURS OF ACTIVITY: H24

CONTROLLING AUTHORITY: Dept of Defence − RAAF

I was under the impression that there wasn't any prohibited airspace in Oz too CiFi.

I only found out that there actually is while poking around looking for an answer for something else. I'm guessing that as the area is quite small and remote, it probably just gets glossed over.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...