Better Late Than Never.

Guest DJH

Hello everyone, I've finally decided to get serious and take flying lessons, at the very youthful age of only sixty two. I've got four hours in the logbook so far and having a terrific time flying circuits in a Jabiru at The Oaks............John

Guest Decca

Hi John, thanks for posting & joining in our great forums!

Right, never too old, in fact some have been much older than yourself.

Regards, Decca.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

My instructor, not that young himself, said candidly to me in the early days that it often takes "older blokes" a bit longer to pick it up than the kids".

Yeah, but that's because we think to much! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif (and which is also how we managed to get as old as we are keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif )

• 2 months later...

Hi eveyone, first solo circuit today at The Oaks, it came as a total surprise, but, I felt I was ready for the occasion, with 13 hours dual in the logbook. Many thanks to my instructor, he's able to teach an old dog some new tricks. Everything went well and it was uneventful.

Let the learning continue............John.

Guest davidh10
Hi eveyone, first solo circuit today ...

Congratulations.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I bet you had a grin a mile wide. Everyone does. It is a real milestone.

As regards age, if you look at the statistics, you're in the "heavily weighted" age band for "recreational flyers". The reasoning goes along the line that many of the commitments of earlier life have diminished.. mortgage, educating and housing the kids etc..

Guest rocketdriver

Congratulations DJH ... I missed your introductory post and am glad to see that you are solo already ...... Congratulations and may your flying continue to go well .....

if you look at the statistics, you're in the "heavily weighted" age band for "recreational flyers".

Hey! Who are you calling Heavily Weighted?? keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

DJH, I almost went down to The Oaks this morning - I could have been there to see the great event. Just keep grinning :big_grin:

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts, I'm looking forward to my next lesson. This aviating is fantastic.

Very chilly at The Oaks at this morning, the Jab needed to be " de-iced ".............John.

• 4 months later...

Gained my Pilot Certificate last Thursday 18/11/10. I consider myself fortunate to have found a good flying school and instructors first time. Many thanks to John and David.........John.