Gyro Questions

Guest Howard Hughes

Yes unfortunately the Gyros still suffer from an image from many years ago when there was no 2 seat machines to instruct in, and as such every one taught themself to fly, and as such the result was and sadly still happens today(trying to teach themself to fly), alot of people killing themself.

An example of this is this, can you believe that this type of crap is still happening, this accident happened last august.

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2012/08/24/232691_local-news.html

This is part of the descussion that went on about it on the ASRA site;

"The "Pilot" was unlicensed and the machine unregistered,we aren't sure if he had any gyro experience.The police advised he was 22 years old."

"This is an unfortunate tale of someone with apparently large amounts of cash to buy a nice gyro but none for training.

The gyro was completely destroyed by fire at takeoff.ASRA has had an AD (2008.02) out for some time concerning fuel filler modifications to gyro's with internal fuel tanks.

Maybe if the owner had consulted a TA and gone through the registration process the gyro would have been properly modified and may not have burnt."

"You wonder why anyone nowadays would even begin to believe they didnt need training but here we go. That bloke is someone's son, husband etc and he leaves a lot of people wondering why."

We can only but try to get the word out that anything that can leave the ground will kill you, if you have not been trained to keep it there.

• 2 weeks later...

The new OZ distributor Airborne Windsports just received the first 3 Magnis from Italy. Two were M24's and are very nice. I've just flown the first 8 hrs in the Magni M24's in the last few days. In the air they feel really solid. Did a trip from Newcastle to Old Bar yesterday via the Gloucester VFR lane. This is a very social way to fly compared to the open cockpit MTO. I love the flying either way!

Guest Howard Hughes

Hey Jeff, great news about the M-24, saw the photos of Old Bar and was very jealous! Any idea of the cost? Or when demo flights will be offered to the public?

Cheers, Mark.

Hi Mark,

I'd suggest that you give Russell Duncan or Rob Hibberd a call at Airborne. I reckon that they are ready now to introduce the M24 or M16 (also arrived) to potential customers. I'll be surprised if the first factory demo isn't sold quickly.

If you are keen Mark, I guess we'll catch up soon at the airfield 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif .

Regards,

Jeff.

Guys, a 'just curious' question. Which is potentially the fastest, tractor or pusher designs? (thinking X country trips here)

Tractor from all reports, but i like to see where i am flying not a back end of the motor :)

• 2 months later...
Excellent thread, anyone got any input on the Magni gyros ?.

I've been flying the M16 and the M24 for the last 3 months now. About 60 hrs I guess. I'm very impressed with both machines. Happy to answer any questions that you may have?

I've ordered a new M16 914 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Regards,

Jeff.

That looked great Jeff, loved the video, wish i'd been in the back seat.

They've obviously come a long long way since the days I started to build a Benson with a Vee-dub motor.

Mind you that gives them about 45yrs to make a few improvements.

Kind Regards

Planey

Thanks Planey. I reckon we need to thank blokes like you because without the good old days of development we would not have the state of the art gyros we have today. It was just a fun boys trip and it's hard to beat open cockpit flying when the weather is really good. Did some flight demos in the M24 but mostly flew the M16 on this trip. Loved it!

Thanks Planey. I reckon we need to thank blokes like you because without the good old days of development we would not have the state of the art gyros we have today. It was just a fun boys trip and it's hard to beat open cockpit flying when the weather is really good. Did some flight demos in the M24 but mostly flew the M16 on this trip. Loved it!

So would I have, the weather looked great.

I always wanted one that fitted in a suitcase( for someone else to carry)strong.gif.dc81ffdb7807ef709604a09d84c59938.gif , like "Little Nellie" in the James Bond movie:smile: