Jabiru brake pads - Improved Version

diablo

I recently fitted new generic pads on my SK and braking is very impressive. The pads should fit the older jabiru's ( SK, J, SP and UL types) with the old brake assy. They are available from www.partsforaircraft.co.uk. Price is competitive.

See attached images, it's amazing the difference that better materials and design can make (originals are darker and without form!) ...

brakes-side.thumb.jpg.f4c73a2e15197cf463939d81762be901.jpg

brakes-top.thumb.jpg.d9bc43e594e8f1c0ee8394743be0f3cf.jpg

• 1 month later...
I recently fitted new generic pads on my SK and braking is very impressive. The pads should fit the older jabiru's ( SK, J, SP and UL types) with the old brake assy. They are available from www.partsforaircraft.co.uk. Price is competitive.See attached images, it's amazing the difference that better materials and design can make (originals are darker and without form!) ...

Hi, I've just changed my real old (1998 kit) brake disks and pads for wave-disks and new pads. The pads were similar in shape (straight lines) but longer than the ones I took off. The new wave-disks are an attractive blue finish.

But the braking now needs a LOT more force for the same stopping power, and I can't hold the plane stopped against the engine at high power, while I could before.

Will this improve as things wear in, for example will the blue finish rub off and give more friction? Or should I look at different pads like these?

.....Bruce

Hi, I've just changed my real old (1998 kit) brake disks and pads for wave-disks and new pads. The pads were similar in shape (straight lines) but longer than the ones I took off. The new wave-disks are an attractive blue finish.But the braking now needs a LOT more force for the same stopping power, and I can't hold the plane stopped against the engine at high power, while I could before.

Will this improve as things wear in, for example will the blue finish rub off and give more friction? Or should I look at different pads like these?

.....Bruce

G'Day Bruce,

The blue fiish on the discs is a preserving film. You should clean it off with solvent before using the disks. Try taking the disk back off and cleaning them up with an orbital sander. New pads and disks work well, but not with the film.

Guest Andys@coffs

Bruce

Why the change? what are you trying to achieve? If you search the jab forum for brakes you'll see one I started some time ago where I was looking for much better stopping after swaping Gawlers miles of runway length for a much shorter strip at South Grafton.... There didnt seem to be an easy answer that involved Jabiru in Bundaburg. I swapped my standard round discs for the wavy ones (only mine didnt have any coating of any sort on them) and was completely underrwhelmed by the improvements...

Regards

Andy

I have fitted ventilated disc rotors 6mm thick to my J160 and now can stop very, very short with no brake fade, just have to be careful not to lock up the wheels on the black stuff.

Adrian

Here's why I put on the new disks....

My old (1998 kit) SK had slightly warped disks, but they worked fine. However the warping meant that the caliper mounting plate flexed when the brakes were applied, and eventually this caused the plate to crack.

This was the first real defect the plane has had in 10 years and 380 hours.

Since my kit was built, the brake system has been upgraded, for example the mounting-plates are of a different alloy and the disks themselves are different and have the plastic film which sure made a fool of me.

Bruce

I have fitted ventilated disc rotors 6mm thick to my J160 and now can stop very, very short with no brake fade, just have to be careful not to lock up the wheels on the black stuff.Adrian

Any chance of posting pics of your discs? Sounds promising..