Shute harbour Airport Fly-in and Airshow this Sunday.

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Just an update for those thinking of flying into Shute Harbour this weekend. The main day is Sunday with the Airshow proper happening between 10am and 1-2 pm. There will be all types of aircraft in the Airshow including the Roulettes, warbirds , high performance aerobatic acts (2x Pitts) and helicopters.

I would strongly suggest those flying in, to do so on Saturday, or well before 7.30am Sunday morning. The weather here the last two days has been lousy, with high winds and much rain, but as I write this there appears to have been a break in the weather, with blue skies now, and light everything.

I have arranged for some UL parking at the Southern end of the strip, in front of the Air Whitsunday hangar, which is the most Southerly hangar at the airport. I will be on duty Sunday so that's probabily where I'll be hanging out.

After landing at the Northern end of the strip, turn at the first left onto the Eastern taxiway, taxy parallel to the strip and cross the strip at the Southern end (carefully !!) and the Air Whit hangar will be in front. You can also taxi right to the Southern end, and cross over there.

Please remember radio use is required, and Shute freq is 127.85. If coming through the nearby Proserpine area their freq is the standard 126.70, don't forget to change to 127.85 for 'Shute traffic' !

It' ll be a busy weekend with all types of different traffic around, from large/fast, and small/slow, and everything in between, so make those calls well, and watch very closely for other traffic.

I'll post another weather update Friday evening, but at presant it's looking good !..............................................................................Maj....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Can't wait... Looking forward to meeting you Ross. We will be arriving by car on Saturday about lunch time... Departing Monday morning.... Matt's Flying School Sav S and a few other locals from down this way as well. This will be the first weekend I have had of work in almost (since Monto) a year so I am sooooo bloody excited to be able to combine it with a Flyin!!!!

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Frank, I do my best where I can , have been giving a lot of thought to coming up North soon also, will be good to see you both again.

Winsor, I already know what cabin your in, having checked at the office yesterday, it's the closest one to the airport by the way. I'm back in Townsville now, and will be flying down tomorrow and should be at Shute around 3 ish. I'll be in Savannah VG 19-4206, not the Lightwing so keep an eye out. I'm looking foward to a bit of a sesh at the Beaver bar tomorrow night. A beautifull Stintson Gullwing came in early today and gave the show a real classy start. I look foward to seeing the savvy S. Good move getting the wife to drive the wheels up !.............

Guest Maj Millard

As promised a bit of a weather report at Shute today. No rain today, but still blew all day, I estimate 20-25 kts with the occasional higher gust. It laid down a bit round midday, and then laid right down about an hour before sunset. I've had a look at the BOM and it looks like the isobars will open right out, so I'm seeing some wind tomorrow but should be less than today. I'm thinking 10-15 kts or less.

Remember there will be a lot of planes (of all types) trying to get into the same little valley tomorrow, so use your radios like your life depends on it,(Shute freq 127.85), and keep your eyes OPEN. I look foward to having a well earned beer with you later................................................................................................................................Maj...

Had gr eat flight in... spoke to Major Millard on 123.45 while airborne... the Roulettes arrived this afternoon...as always with style. The Pitts Specials have been practising all afternoon. Looking like its going to be a good day tomorrow. Am on the Android phone so.will post photos upon return.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Well the Shute harbour Airshow went off very well indeed, with great sunny weather and light winds. A good crowd attended, with many from the Proserpine, Mackay, Townsville and other areas in attendance. The Roulettes as usual did their shows with precision, twice !, the Maxx G Pitts were spectacular, and the sound of the Big Avenger taking off in the small valley was well...LOUD. Really liked the Avenger, it is such a large and impressive aircraft.

The ULs in attendance had center stage in the static display, with three Savannas and a Kitfox being shown, and a Fisher Drifter and an Xair also coming in from Mackay.

All three Savvys were different models with a classic VG, an XL VG and a new Savvy S now used for flight training in Mackay. They also had a neat little booth promoting their flight school. Our own Windsor 68 flew in, in the S, and I enjoyed many Largers with him and his family Saturday night in the Beaver bar.

We lined up for departure this afternoon with the Avenger and the Skydivers 'Airvan, and followed them out in the Savvy VG, feeling like we were very much part of the show.( Very large, medium size, and well, smallish.) Pretty hard to better an Avenger take-off, but I got rid of the flaps after lifting off, and kept the nose down along the runway for whatI hope was a decent fly-by demo of one of our aircraft. We departed the circut, spotted the Avenger cruising around, and was suitable impressed as he flew past us reasonably close in the opposite direction!..We had communicated to him that we had him visual, and he us. The flight back to Townsville was very pleasant with good stable air, great coastal viz and a steady ten Knot tailwind. Life certainly could be worse !

Next on the calendar up this way is the Old Station informal fly-in late in May, which would be a great excuse for a bit more cross-country crusin', especially if the weather stays like it was this weekend ...................................................................................Maj

Hi Maj

I would have loved to have been able to get there for a look...I know the MaxxG pilot really well he is a model jet pilot and was long so before he started in the fullsize aerobatic scene. He also gets to fly the Avenger and Trojan too the lucky so and so . I have been up here at Mission Beach since thursday will be heading up to Cairns in the morning then jump on the plane home to Brisbane tomorrow arvo Sav :)

Mark

Guest Maj Millard

By late Sat arvo it was obvious that the aircraft had come to the Shute Harbour Airshow, and quite a few more came in early Sunday morning, the day of the airshow proper.

The big question was..would the people come ? This event was well advertised, with a seven-page lift out in the local paper, highlighting that this was also celerbrating the Shute harbour Airports' 50th year. Plus there were also slick TV ads in all adjoining areas.

The people did come. The usual airshow mix of aviation enthusists and familys. The crowds reminded me of the many airshows I attended in California whilst living there.

Attending an airshow is a great mix of outdoors fun and sun, mixed with a bit of adventure , being thrilled and amazed by daring aviators and equally amazing aircraft, and a chance to enjoy beer and hot dogs !.

I am always impressed to see average people climbing in and out of our latest ULs, or even just peering in to check out the panels.

People are interested in aviation, wether they realize it or not, and attending a good airshow just highlights that to them.......................................................................................................................................................Maj

Dissapointed Ross !!! ..........What`s this about, Static Display?........ I thought we`d gained some respectability as pilots and should be part of the flying display !!!

Frank.

Ps, Fran and I did consider driving down, but the eight or so hour drive didn`t appeal much to me, Our son Michael and his family were staying at Russell Heads over the weekend so we decided to go and spend some time with them. Today we took a couple of friends with us and went for a drive to see the Herberton Historicle Village, nice day and well worth the drive.

002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Frank, I will make a point of asking Jeffry Ruddell if we can show some UL action in the air, next time.

I did my best on departure with a suitable low pass down the runway chasing the Avenger, whilst the assembled masses were still there. Hopefully planted a seed with some young adventurer somewhere.........................Ross

It was a nice flyby too Ross... Matt's Flying did 4 TIFs on Saturday afternoon, and another couple this morning (with one new student and her husband planning on continuing all the way). Matt and I departed at about 1350 this afternoon in the Sav S for Mackay... The Yak52 came back to Mackay with an empty seat and though it was tempting flying the Sav back won out... lol

It was a great weekend and as soon as I can get my photos and video's sorted I will be linking them in here... It was truly great to meet you and sorry we didn't get a chance to catch up again on Sunday.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes sorry I didn't hook up Sunday also with you and the family. We had a minor problem with the Savvy (mag drop) and I spent about an hour in the morning pulling and checking plugs. Then between watching the show and running into people, suddenly it was time to fire up and leave !. Des and I had decided to fly back to Townsville Sun arvo, due family commitments. We had a nice flight back.

Ian is going to Old Station late May, and I'll probabily go also in the Lightwing, so we may drop into Mackay during that trip. Time dissappears when your having fun !!.....The way he's going with the Savvy, you might see him sooner !!.........................................................................................................................Cheers .............Maj